Chapter 2

"ALLISON, WHAT A NICE SURPRISE!" Becky's kindergarten teacher exclaimed.

"I came to drop her by," I told her while smiling. The kindergarten teacher was a sleek young woman whose sharp edged glasses were perched on her unusually long nose.

"How are you, Becky?" She asked the little figure who was hiding behind my legs.

"I am fine," Becky whispered. I kneeled down and pushed her forward so that she was facing her teacher. But she kept on staring at her Mary Janes clad feet shyly.

"Becky. Don't be shy," I scolded her lightly. Becky pouted.

"So how is she?" I looked up at the tall teacher on realising that the question was directed at me.

"She was down with a flu," I lied. I had evaluated the consequences of letting another person know about Hailey's absurd ideas.

"She is fine now. She was released from the hospital yesterday. She is just feeling a bit awkward after being absent for so many days," I told her. Dad had come home yesterday and got Becky away from that hellish place. Honestly, I couldn't stop worrying until I watched dad signing her release papers.

"She could have stayed at home and took rest. She looks really thin and tired," The teacher observed.

"I told you, Allie. You should have just listened to me," Becky told me with her hands on her hips. She looked adorable. I laughed along with the teacher.

"She is fine really. She is just lazy to come to school," I smiled. Though the teacher was right about Becky's apparent weight loss.

"Actually Allison, are you free now? I wanted to talk to you," The teacher said. Genuine worry was etched into her features.

"Yes," I told her puzzled.

"Um. Becky sweetheart, why don't you go meet your friends? I am sure they are waiting for you," She told Becky as she ushered her into the brightly painted classroom.

"What is wrong, Maureen?" I asked the teacher. Having only just entered into her twenties, we didn't have much difference in our ages. And because of that she was in quite friendlier terms with me than the other parents.

"Nothing. Just certain stuff, concerning Becky," She sighed.

"Concerning Becky?" I asked.

"Yes."

"So? What do you want to talk about?"

"So Becky has sort of changed lately," Maureen said, avoiding my gaze.

"Changed in what way?" I asked her, not really surprised with the teacher's observation.

"She has been ignorant with the far away look in her eyes. She never really listens to the class. And....she had..hurt some students," Maureen told me in an exasperated tone.

"Hurt?" I asked with sudden curiosity growing in my chest.

"Yes... When it first happened, I took it lightly. She had pushed a boy into the fish pond. I thought it was an accident. Later the children started complaining about Becky breaking their stationery and throwing stones at them.... I never took it seriously. I would just advise her and unlike her usual behaviour, she would stand indifferent and stony," Maureen explained as she led me to a small area with two chairs.

"One day, the kids were playing in the sandbox. And Becky had shoved sand into her friend's mouth...." She trailed when she saw my widened eyes.

"Becky would never do that. She is such a sweet kid," I opposed. But she had screamed at Hailey.