Chapter 7

"ALLISON, HOW IS THE YEARBOOK coming up?" Mr Simmons, the teacher in charge of the school's editing club asked me.

Oh! It had completely slipped my mind. With all these things going around, I had completely forgotten about the fact that I was in charge of preparing the yearbook.

"Almost done," I lied, smiling innocently. I hadn't even started on it. Mr Simmons nodded his head, smiling proudly at me.

"I know that you are capable," He said. I bit my tongue.

"But you look sick. Are you well?" He asked with genuine concern in his spectacled eyes.

"I am fine," I answered, slightly puzzled at his enquiry.

"You can take the previous yearbooks if you need them for reference," He said, gesturing to the editing room. I thanked him silently.

I didn't get to see Ezra after the terrifying night at the library. I had so many questions troubling my mind. I frantically searched the room for the yearbooks.

I caught my reflection on the window pane of the club and sighed. Hollowness circled my green eyes. My cheeks were gaunt and haggard looking. My normally lush hair laid limp around my face. The deep dark brown of the hair contrasted heavily with my unnaturally pale skin. He was right. I looked sick. The nightmares got worser each night and they deprived me of my sleep.

Climbing over a low chair, I picked out the old yearbooks from the top shelves. Thick dust layered the burgundy leather binding of the books. I stroked my hands over the faded leather,swiping the dust away. What did I do to be tortured this way? I was so freaked out by a ghost and now I resemble one too.

My phone chimed in the back pocket of my jeans. I arranged the books on the table before retrieving my phone. Scrolling through the phone, I opened the text.

Ezra : What are you up to?

Me: Arranging yearbooks.

Ezra:..........

Me: What? Where are you by the way?

Ezra: Roof.

Me: Roof?! Lunch ends in two.

Ezra: I know. Wanna join me?

Me: No way. I don't want to be late for history.

Ezra: Who said about going to history?

Me: You are skipping class again!?

Ezra: Yes and you are skipping class with me.

Me: Who are you to decide?

Ezra: Come on, James. Don't be too uptight.

Me: I told you not to call me that. And I am not going to go anywhere with you.

Ezra: No fun. But if you are, I might clear some your doubts.

He got me there. My eyes surveyed the text for the second time. I didn't want to miss history but I badly wanted my never ending confusing thoughts to be cleared. I have to know. I have to help Becky. I hesitated a second before I sent him my message.

Me: Be there in two.

Anyways I had to get there before the bell rang. Wobbling slightly due to the weight of the gigantic yearbooks, I made my way to my locker. Stacking the large books in, I slammed my locker door. The bell rang marking the end of lunch time. I muttered long strings of curses under my breath.