Chapter 12

I TOOK A DEEP BREATH IN as I watched Maureen adjust the black rimmed glasses on her nose. She poured me a mug of coffee which I gladly accepted. I am slightly caffeine addicted.

"You have a nice apartment," I complimented as my eyes roamed all over the well furnished room. It wasn't really big but was finely maintained. I hoped to live in such an apartment as soon as I graduate from school.

"Thanks," She smiled as she brought her mug to her lips. It was raining hard outside and what I wanted to do was curl up on the bed and nap instead of interviewing a kindergarten teacher.

"I have been inviting you around for days now. I am glad you finally came," She said. My actual motive was to gather information and now that I was here I was struggling to bring that up. I didn't want her to suspect me either.

"I want to get myself a sweet apartment like yours once I graduate," I told her truthfully. She smiled at me in response.

"How is school by the way? Tough?" She asked me. Finally, an opening. I am not going to let the opportunity slip.

"Yea. But I am managing it somehow," I told her and she nodded. A few seconds passed away with casual talking.

"Where did you graduate from?" I asked trying to look curious. Maureen's eyes widened at the question that had popped out of nowhere.

"I don't know if you have heard about the school. Gale Academy," She replied as she took a sip from her mug. I reclined on the chair, stretching my aching back.

"Yes. I have heard of it. Didn't some accident happen there some years back?" I asked her trying to look innocent.

"Yes," She replied, surprised at my knowledge.

"What really happened?" I enquired.

"Fire. The whole school building was burnt down to the ground. Many school kids and teachers were killed. It took place a year after I graduated from there," She told me solemnly.

"How did the fire break out?"

"No one really knows the actual cause of the fire. The school is located in a secluded area and it was hard to get help. By the time the rescue team and police had arrived, there were hardly any remains of the school. There are a few survivors though," She said. We sat in silence for a few minutes.

"There is something wrong about this fire accident," Maureen finally spoke enrapturing my interest then.

"Wrong?"

"Yes. All the survivors of the accident had suffered bad fate. Most of them had died brutally after the accident. There are a very few who are still alive. But I believe their time is limited too," She said.

"What are you implying?" I asked her.

"It feels as if all the victims of the accident were supposed to die in the fire," She replied with an undecipherable emotion in her eyes.

"And those of us, who haven't died in the accident are being hunted down now," She finished. I shivered. Something about what she said felt eerie.

"If you have studied in Gale Academy, then you might know Elizabeth Monner," I told her.

"Yes I do know Elizabeth. How do you know about her?" She asked me, her eyes narrowed. I gulped not knowing what to say. What should I tell her? The truth?