Chapter 10

"WHO IS MAUREEN BECKHAM?" Ezra asked as he peeked to the see the picture in the yearbook.

"Becky's kindergarten teacher," I replied, excitedly. Finally, a solution. Ezra stared at me with interest.

"I didn't know that she studied in Gale Academy. She might know Elizabeth Monner," I told him. He nodded. I looked at the picture again. I must say Maureen had changed considerably from a skinny scrawny looking teenager to a smart well dressed teacher. If not for the same grin, I would have never recognised her at all.

"Let's give it a try," He said. I was way too tired today. But I was ready to shake off my exhaustion if it was for a good cause.

"I know where she lives. We can go there. I'm sure she won't mind," I told him as I tried to stifle a yawn.

"Not today. You went through a lot. You should catch some sleep," He said, probably on noticing my tiredness. I cringed at the thought of sleeping. I didn't know when I would be haunted by terrifying nightmares.

"No, it's fine. We should go," I tried to convince him. He frowned deeply in thought.

"I don't think so," He replied doubtfully. I must admit that my limbs were numb and aching. And I would love to go home and soak myself in a hot scented bath more than anything.

"Maybe Elizabeth is the one haunting me. She might have been killed in the fire accident and holds some sort of grudge. But why would she want to hurt me or even a five year old? I don't understand that," I thought loudly.

"Ghosts don't need a reason to hurt. Elizabeth could be a misled disturbed soul who is unable rest peacefully," He said. I noticed that he was slightly humming to the music in the background. I smiled, amused. My phone chimed. Retrieving the phone from the back of my jeans, I realised that I had received a message from a certain fourteen year old.

Scar: Mom's back.

Finally decided to show up after what.... an eternity? It matters the least to me.

Me: So?

Scar: She is asking for u. She is bringing guests for dinner. She insists the whole family to be there.

I groaned loudly. She probably wants to show her friends what a happy family we are. Note my sarcasm.

Me: I am busy. Won't be able to make it.

Scar: Please Allie, don't abandon me. I will make a mess in the kitchen.

I sighed. There goes my plans for tonight. I texted her back.

Me: Alright, coming.

"I have to go home. We are having guests," I told Ezra. Even though I was dreading to go home, I didn't want dad and Scar to manhandle my kitchen.

"It's better if you go home. We can do this tomorrow," Ezra assured. I sighed in approval.

"I will try to find more about this academy and the accident," Ezra told me. And I gave him a grateful smile. Right now, I was glad that I was not alone.

"Do you think we will be able to solve this?" I asked him, looking down on my lap.

"We can do this," He replied confidently. But I was still doubtful and nervous.