Chapter 11

"DO YOU HAVE A DEATH wish?" Scarlett asked Jack threateningly as we sat around the dinner table.

Jack scrutinised her as he chewed on the meat hanging over the fork. After a few seconds, he waved her off as if she was nobody. Scarlett turned scarlet with fury at his rude gesture. She swore at him but she was merely ignored. He caught me staring at him and that made him smirk. I looked down nervously on my untouched plate.

"You look gorgeous," He mouthed at me, staring solidly at me. Horrific memories I had with him, suddenly flooded back to me, bringing a wave of nausea along with it. I fiercely gripped the tablecloth to subdue my urge to throw my plate at his stupid grin. I hated him.

Apparently the Fentons were Hailey's close friends. Too many shocking surprises for a person to bear on a single day. I used to be Jack's girlfriend and I didn't know that. My stomach which was roaring with hunger a little while ago had strangely quieted down. Instead of bringing the food to my mouth, I shoved it around on my plate.

Jake's steely gaze was fixed on me which brought shivers down my back and dissipated my hunger. I swallowed some water in loud gulps. I can't believe he was Esther's boyfriend or ex boyfriend. I can imagine her terror on seeing him sitting here. She was nowhere to be seen, though.

No one seemed to notice my uneasiness. The Fentons and Summers were having a good time being nostalgic. Holly was nowhere to be seen and I am certain that she had slipped away to attend some party.

"Are you alright?"

I placed the glass of water as lightly as possible on the table before raising my eyes. A guy, I assumed was Jack's older brother was looking at me with slight amusement. I had never seen him before but had heard of him from Jack. He is a medical student and Jack envied him deeply. Jack wanted to shred his body parts into pieces and mutilate him. And then throw him to the feed the dogs. That's what he used to say back when we were together. I recollected of how naive and stupid I was.

"Yes," I mumbled softly.

He dragged his long fingers slowly over his wavy dark golden hair. That might be Jacks's actual hair colour. Jack is paranoid to blacken that beautiful hue of his hair. My eyes followed the lazy movement of his hands. His hair turned attractively messy by the action of his fingers. I must admit that he was good looking. His eyes were transfixed on me or maybe something behind me. But the lazy smooth gaze that he owned was starting to grow on me.

"Oliver, will you pass me the salt?" Mrs Fenton asked. The golden haired boy diverted his eyes to meet with his moms.

"Oliver," I repeated under my breath.

When everyone had finished their food and started on the dessert, I began to worry about Becky who hadn't made her appearance yet. Hoping that she had calmed down, I left the dining room to see her. Now that her room was completely destroyed, I shared my room with her. Dad was perplexed on seeing her room in such a state. He kept on questioning clueless Becky about it even if he clearly knew a five year old was incapable of that level of obliteration. But then I remembered how Becky had thrown a huge wooden table at Scarlett a few days back. Anything is possible right now.

The door to my room was wide open and I stepped in feeling tremendous anxiety. In the dim illumination of the streetlights outside, I could make out a slight figure curled up on the bed. Becky was sleeping. Her eyes were closed lightly and her mouth slightly ajar suggesting deep sleep. She looked peaceful and tired. I literally melted at the sight. Pulling the sheets over her, I kissed her forehead.