Chapter 26

LIKE HOLLY HAD MENTIONED, Bethany Summers was in room no 209. There is only one hospital in the town, so it wasn't difficult to find. But trying to get a permit to visit her was quite difficult. And the first time I got rejected by a quirky nurse. The second time, I had come prepared with a bunch of red roses and a get well card signed by Hailey James. Though it was me who signed and it didn't bear the slightest resemblance with the actual, it didn't matter as long as the same quirky nurse seemed to buy it.

"Hello! Mrs Summers," I chirped loudly as I entered the room. Bethany Summers blushed furiously, probably because I had caught her between her act of stuffing her face with cookies.

"Oh, hi! Allison. What brings you here?" She said, trying her best to cover up her embarrassment. She looked like an obese mummy after being covered in bandages. I forcefully smiled at her.

"I heard that you had an accident. Thought I should come and check out. Hail- mo..om sends you her condolences," I said as I handed her the bunch of cheap roses. She sniffed at them, her lips stretched into a smile.

"Did she send the roses?" She asked.

"Yes. Do you like them?" I lied. Nope! Hailey doesn't even know that you are admitted in a hospital.

"Nice," Bethany remarked as she placed them beside her bed on the stand.

"Um, Mrs Summers, how are you feeling now?" I asked out of courtesy.

"Broke my neck and right leg. Quite painful. Seat yourself, Allison! Don't stand," She said. I pulled a lightweight chair next to the bed before sitting.

"That's so sad and unfortunate. How did it happen?" I asked.

"I got pushed down the stairs,",She stated.

"Pushed! Who pushed you?" I asked, feigning surprise.

"You won't believe me. No one believes me," She said with full of remorse. That sounded like a sentence I usually say. I placed a palm on hers.

"Trust me, Mrs Summers. We are on the same page," I assured her. She looked into my eyes and almost cried. Jesus! How I hated doing this!

She wiped her tears. She looked doubtful for a second before answering, "I don't know what that thing is. A small devilish thing. It's about the height of a five year old kid. I don't know why it is haunting me. I don't know if it's a ghost but I call it the hell child." No, I think you should call it Becky.

"Allison you no clue on how powerful the hell child is. It pushed me downstairs! It has been haunting me for a week now," She said. I blinked at her.

"I know it's hard to believe me," She sighed in a low tone. I pressed her hands.

"No. I trust you, Mrs Summers," I coaxed, fluttering my eyelashes.

"Even before this creature from hell began haunting me. My dead friend would visit me at nights," She told me. Her puffy cheeks had turned red and blotchy from all the crying.

"Dead friend-?" I mused.

"Jill. She was murdered by a teenage psychopath. She would appear in my sleep and keep on warning me," She said.

"Um. Warning?"

"Yes. She would appear in my dream as a large blur but I can still recognise her. And she would keep on saying, 'Run away, Beth. As soon as possible. It's your turn next.' Is it scary or not?" She asked, fear evident in her bleary eyes.