Chapter 5

Randal's POV

I was on my way to the cafeteria when I caught Xavier's scent heading towards a hallway that was leading away from lunch and towards the lockers. As I got closer I heard bits and pieces of Xavier talking.

"I do care, please tell me." I heard Xavier say.

Who is he talking to?  I wondered.

Beats me, my wolf Rafe replied.

"Come on I at least deserve to know that." He begged.

Wow, I have never heard my soon to be Beta beg. I thought.

That's true, but what does he deserve to know? Rafe asked.

I don't know I replied.

I peeked around the corner and saw him talking to that new girl, Melody. My wolf started to growl but I held him back. I needed to find out what's going on before I went all crazy on my best friend. I looked back around the corner and found Melody holding up seven fingers.

"Seven weeks?" Xavier asked. she shook her head. "Months?" he tried again, again she shook her head. "YEARS?" he yelled. She nodded. Everyone in the hall was staring at them now, including me. She quickly just slapped him and walked away.

As I walked towards him, I heard him whisper quietly. "Oh Melody, what I have done to you?"

"Care to explain?" I said angrily.

Xavier jumped and turned around, and then he paled when he saw it was me.

"n-n-no" he said.

"And why not?" I asked. "I think I deserve and explanation of why my mate seemed to know you and you seemed to know her even though you have never seen her before this day, and why you would upset her enough to slap you. Why would you cause her enough pain to want to do that, she looks like she wouldn't want to hurt even a fly on purpose, but then she just goes and slaps you and what is this about seven years. You better answer all of my questions now!" I said, and as I talked I was getting angrier and angrier, until I yelled the last part of that.

"Okay fine, first off, she actually used to hit me quite a lot; that was her way of joking around with me, especially when I embarrassed her. She has been mute for seven years of her seventeen years of life....." He began.

"Hang on how do you know how old she is?" I interrupted.

"Let me finish please!" he responded. "And the reason I know her is...."

All of a sudden a hand slaps over his mouth. He and I both look down, and there is my mate, and she is angrily shaking her head and motions to stop. It's like she doesn't want him to tell me. She quickly wrote something down. Come by my house (if you can find it that is) and I promise I will explain everything, on one condition.... No one knows about how we know each other. I will deny everything because you are DEAD to me. I saw her hand the note to him. When he read the note he paled. The only reason I knew what it said was because I saw her writing it down.

"Okay fine, but I have a condition, you tell me everything, and you do not write down everything, you actually tell me." Xavier said.

She slowly shook her head no but at the same time she quickly signed something in the air. I don't know what she said because it looked like gibberish to me. However Xavier seemed to understand perfectly. "Fine" he said, but you are sitting with us at lunch. She hesitated but then slowly nodded. After lunch though she avoided us for the rest of the day; after school got out she started running towards wherever her home was.

"Dude you know I am coming with you right?" I told Xavier.

"Yeah I kind of figured, and it would be better for her to know that you are there instead of her finding out the hard way. So yeah you can come with!" He said.

"Okay, then let's start following her." I said.