When I'm Gone

Dark.

Silence.

Two boys in black sweaters, big rucksacks on their backs. Sneaking out into the darkness. They get in the car. They drive away.

They're free.

Six Hours Earlier

"I want to leave."

Phil glanced over at Dan, a deep frown set in place. "You want to leave?"

"Yes."

He got up from his seat on the floor and set his book down. It was just two steps to the bed where Dan was sat. He sat beside him and waited for an explanation. 

"I can't do this. I know you like it here, but fuck Phil, I can't. I want out. I hate this house and this town. I hate school. I hate teachers, parents, the people that are supposedly my friends. I hate my stupid hair and these stupid clothes and my stupid, fucked up life." Dan took a deep breath, leaning his head on his best friend's shoulders. "Phil please."

Phil chewed on his bottom lip, bringing a hand up to run through Dan's hair. He made scissors with his fingers and pretended to chop it off, humming as he did. "Where would we go? What do we do when your Dad comes after us? Have you thought this through?"

"You have a car. We can get away, go far enough that they can't find us, I don't know," Dan looked up at Phil with hopeful brown eyes. He was desperate. "We'll be okay, we'll make it work."

Phil recognised the words. He said them every time Dan came into his house sobbing, every time he ran out of class in tears. And he knew he couldn't say no.

"I'll make something work," Phil muttered, pressing a kiss to the top of his head. "I promise. We'll be okay. You're sure about this?" He had no idea what he was agreeing to. It was crazy, and probably stupid. But Phil couldn't say no to Dan. The younger boy needed his help.

A tiny smile appeared on Dan's face, his arms snaking around the older boys waist. He pressed a kiss to his friend's cheek. "I'm sure. Anything is better than this. As long as you're there too."

A/N: Honestly, I have no clue what this is. I'll make a part 2 if enough people want it I guess