Chapter 18// "Get off my girl!"

The tips of my shoes gently touch the ground as I quietly creep forward.

The air is exceptionally chilly to a point where my nose feels numb. I have my hands stuffed in my mauve hoodie and my tan uggs gently roll through the bunch of brown leaves; I keep my hood down as I follow in their direction.

My teeth are chattering, I don't know whether it's in fear or it's because I'm cold. 

My distance is far enough to just see their shadow, god I'm such a stalker, nonetheless, I feel that I'm obligated to do this.

The fact that I didn't imagine they would be walking down a dark alley late at night, I know he gets up to some dodgy stuff, but maybe not this dodgy.

There are loud thumping noises coming up ahead and a shiver runs through my veins as my chest tightens at the fear of what is beyond me.

I look ahead at Conner and Daniel and discreetly follow them both and think back to the conversation I heard mine and Elliott's mom having the other night.

"I'm worried about Elliott, he's going out late at night, then sometimes not coming back until a few days later" His mother sighs into her cup of tea as my mom rubs her back soothingly.

"I just don't want him to do something he'll regret, I don't want to ask either. You know it's complicated with him choosing to live with me instead of his father"

I peek through the door; I'm currently holding a bar of Cadbury chocolate in my hand, a small midnight snack to heal my period cravings.

"I'm scared that if I don't give him enough freedom then he'll go back to him...he'll go back to live with his father, and I can't lose him" His mother explains. 

We reach the gigantic arena, my eyebrows furrow in confusion, why a bowling arena, or maybe there's also a bar inside. Actually, I'm pretty sure this place has a casino. 

But instead of heading for the lights blazing up the whole street, they walk in the direction of pitch black.

Their steps become swifter as I attempt to keep up, instead of walking up to the front doors they swerve to the right and begin to walk around the building, I cautiously follow the pair of them till we reach a brown wooden door that looks slightly moldy.

The figure that looks like Conner uses his shoulder to shove the door open.

That's when they walk in to what looks like hell and I willingly follow.

My mom tries to reassure Elliott's mom but I can tell she is equally worried about Daniel who has also been disappearing then coming home late with cuts and bruises.

"If only Giorgia was here, she'd always know what to do. She always wanted kids of her own and when she finally got them they were taken away from her"

Giorgia. My mom

You know that feeling when your nose goes all fuzzy when you feel like you're about to cry, well that's exactly how my nose feels right now.

I silently walk up the stairs towards my bedroom, inside I open my drawer filled with my sweaters and pull out a small image of young women.

She has vibrant blonde hair and bright green eyes, but what stands out is her smile. Daniel and I look nothing like our mother but we are always reminded of how our smiles match hers. 

I lie in my bed thinking about Mrs. Grayson's words, as I clutch the picture of my mother, wishing she was here.

Maybe it wasn't just the fact that Elliott's mother was worried about her son, but I also have suspicions about my twin brother.