Chapter 1

"chapter 1"
| a new beginning might just be the turning point that you need |

"Hae Ri, my dear. I have something to tell you." My mom was standing at the half opened door and she peeped in with a timid expression. She always did this when she wanted me to do her a favour. I put down my pen on my desk and turned to face her direction," Yes, what you do need my dearest mother?"

"Hae Ri, I know this might be a shock. But your dad and I have arranged a marriage for you. It is with the son of Park construction. We know that

Ever heard of Sarawak?

Well, I recently learn of it and I am going to pursue my college life there. I had never thought that I would be studying there, heck, much less out of the Korea, my country. Anyways, what made me study there? Yeap, you've guessed correctly, my husband.

My name is Go Hae Ri. I am 18 years old this year and I just graduated from high school 3 months ago. I am going to study in Curtin University as an engineer. Let me continue telling you about my husband shall I?

My husband is pursuing his masters at Curtin University as a laboratory assistant and part time lecturer and I decided to send myself there. How is he my husband if we are going to live in two different ends of the world? And this husband of mine, I had just learnt of his existence about a month ago and signed the papers with him 3 weeks ago at the District Office in Seoul with my parent's consent. I didn't even speak more than 3 sentences with him before he went back to Sarawak to continue his research. I know it's weird why I would get married like that but the factors probably contributed to our family business and old times.

Apparently, our parents had been best friends ever since they were young and had agreed to betroth the two of us as soon as we were born. Next was the financial crisis the companies were facing. To maintain their positions in the global market, they had to merge the companies together and our marriage was an insurance to this merger. This way both companies would have the guarantee of not betraying each other. Additionally, I turned legal at the right time.

Well, things did escalated fast. From me being a high school graduate, to being someone's wife. I mean I have no particular thoughts on this. I am not a romanticist, I didn't care about love, or even believed in love. All I had in life was studying, all I ever wanted to do was study. Some people might have criticize about my lifeless lifestyle but they didn't understand the joy and satisfaction I felt while I studied. They didn't experience the serenity I felt while the problems ran through my head. I loved to study, to learn of the unknowns and to understand. That's why I didn't care if this was an arranged marriage or that this was a marriage without love. It was the easy way out for me anyways. I didn't need to go through all the painful processes I seen my friends go through, I didn't need to feel vulnerable or helpless because of a boy. I didn't need to go through nights wondering who my Mr Right was. I already have a husband, I didn't need to fantasize for one.

And if you are asking where I am right now, well I am in the Seoul Airport. My flight was going to depart soon. School is starting the day after tomorrow. My parents were busy on the phone with their business clients. They had taken the day off to send me off, but it seems that their work didn't allow it. I mean I shouldn't complain. They dote on me a lot, but priorities call. I understand, it was just like how my studies were more important than anything else.

"Gate 063 is open. I repeat Gate 063 is open." The announcer broadcast. I looked down at my airplane ticket, it was time for me to enter the gate.

"Omma, appa, I have to go." I broke the silence and my mom and dad looked at me with guilty faces.