Prologue

"prologue"
| everything in the world goes around and comes around, be it good or bad |

Go Hae Ri, 4 years old
"Hae Ri, do you want to play a game with me?" I was on an outing with my parents. We came to the park with my aunt and her family. It was barbecue night. My cousin, Jennie, and I decided to stroll around in the park while our parents were setting up the camp fire and preparing for dinner.

I had been really excited for this trip as I was kept at home for the longest time. My parents had been too busy with their work and they decided to make it up to me by bringing my cousins and I to this trip. Jennie was my favourite cousin and I really looked up to her. How I wished that I could grow up to be like her.

"What game?" I asked as I looked up towards her.

"I only hang out with people with guts and courage. So let's test if you are worthy of being in my presence. Do you see that house there? Let's go in and play hide and seek. If I cannot find you within 30 minutes, you will be worthy of me." Jennie challenged me, pointing to the abandoned house which looked haunted.

I was scared.

"But, Jennie-" I started to whine but she pulled my hand out of her grip and stormed off back to the camp fire. She didn't want to play with me any longer.

"Fine! Let's go play hide and seek!" I yelled, hoping to stop her in her tracks and she did. She turned around with the brightest smile on her face and walked over," Let's go Hae Ri."

When we went into the house, we were stuck with a pungent smell. Everything was rotten and it looked like it has been abandoned for many years.

"I'll give you two minutes to hide." Jennie yelled and closed her eyes. I started to scurry over the house to find for an appropriate place to hide. I saw a closet and without thinking about anything else I quickly fitted myself into it and hid there. I covered my lips and nose with my hands, hoping that Jennie will not hear me.

But not long after, I could hear a piece of wood being dragged around and my heartbeat beating against my chest so hard that i thought my chest would explode.

Why did Jennie want to play this game?

"I hope no one ever finds you." I heard a whisper by the closet and it was locked from the outside with the wood right after. I felt myself starting to panic and I banged my fists onto the door. Hoping that Jennie or anyone could hear me.

Tears erupted from my cheeks but I could not form a word from my mouth. I could not even scream for help.

Everything was dark and I could not see anything. The only thing that reminded me that I was still in the closet was the door which I had been constantly banging on.

I was so frightened, scared and helpless. Will I die here?

Before long, I could feel myself losing my breath and I let
myself seep into unconsciousness.

Mummy, daddy, please save me.

——————————————————————————

Park Yi Eun, 11 years old

"Is it really necessary for me to go?" I asked my mom. She shot
me a non-nonsense look. I pouted and changed into my attire. There was no point arguing with her.

I was forced into visiting one of my dad's partners daughter in the hospital. I guess that family is a pretty big shot to let my dad be so worked up. He doesn't really care much about others, aside from his company.

We've reached the hospital and I greeted the Uncle and Auntie Go. So it's the Go family. I have seen Uncle Go a few times in my dad's company when I went over to help my dad with some administration work but I have never seen their daughter. My dad had been training me on his company's matters since I was 7. My dad and Uncle Go would spend few hours talking about their kids which were me and Uncle Go's daughter under the pretence that they were working. They were both just making an excuse to chat.

"Go in and stay by Hae Ri's side while we talk with them." My mom instructed me.

Oh well, at least I do not need to socialise.

She was in a private room which was great. I could just sit by the side and play my games. I knew that they were going to talk for a few hours. I have no idea why I am here for to be honest.

I started to play my video games and just as I was getting to the final boss, I heard a shriek. I was shocked for a moment and looked up.

She was crying in her sleep," Let me out.."

I decided to ignore her and continue my final battle before the save point.

She started screaming again and her hands shot up into the air. I suddenly felt bad for ignoring her. I heaved and closed my game. You should be glad I'm doing this for you.

I walked over to her and took her palms. She looked really disturbed and like she was trying to chase something away. I patted the top of her hands softly, like how my mother used to do when I had nightmares.

"It's fine I'm here." I slowly patted her hand. She stopped flinching and her expression was more peaceful.

My mom's trick always work.

When it seemed as if that she was deeply sleeping again, I tried to pull out my hand from her grip. But just as I tried to do so, her hold on my hand tightened and I could not get my hand out of hers no matter how hard I pulled.

I heaved a sigh and decided to sit back down in the seat.

"What a weird girl." I commented and before long I felt my lids fluttering and I was slowly losing consciousness.