2.

I rubbed my thumb over the smooth surface of the card with Mrs. Winchester's number on it. I sighed, glancing at the clock and then back down at the card.

My mother left, probably on another blind date, leaving me alone in the house that still smelled like paint.

I picked up my cellphone that was lying down on top of the desk and I typed in the number. I sucked in a breath as I hit the 'Call' button and I held my breath until the call connected. I let the air out when it started to ring.

After a few rings, "Hello, you have called Janet Winchester's Real Estate Agency. This is her secretary, Christie Bay, how may I help you?"

I swallowed hard. "Hi, I'm Kimberly Adams. Mrs. Winchester told me to call her for more information about this babysitting position she had open and..." I trailed off, hoping Christie Bay would finish it for me.

"I see. I'll make a note of that and let her know. She's in a meeting at the moment, so she'll get back to you later, is there anything else you may need?"

"Um... No, that's it.. Thanks," I said and then she said goodbye and hung up.

She was really nice, I wish all people could he as patient and kind as her over the phone.

Now, I have to play the Waiting Game, which I am terrible at. Patience is not my thing. Plus, I'm so anxious to get that call back.

"I'm back!" I heard my mother yell and a slam of the front door. I quickly grabbed the card and shoved it into one of my desk drawers. I walked out of my room and into the kitchen where my mother is, sitting at the table.

There was a giant bouquet of roses on the table, and I looked at my mom who had her eyes closed. "Who were those from?" I asked and she sighed, rubbing her temples with her fingers.

"My date. That I will NEVER go on a date with again," she answered as she opened her eyes and looked up at me. "Never date a guy who talks nonstop about politics on the first date. Unless you're into that kind of stuff," she informs me as she stood up.

"What did he talk about?" I asked her as she went over to our sad excuse for a pantry. She opened it and took out one of those cups of macaroni.

"Donald Trump this. Hillary Clinton that. Obama blah blah blah, why Germany is better, why America's government is so corrupt. This, I don't give a rat's ass about." She poured water into the cup from the faucet in the sink. "Well, I do, but not on a first date, like come on," she added with a groan.

She popped it into the microwave and pressed the 3 minute button. I stayed quiet as I watched her pull out her box of cereal and begin popping handfuls of cereal into her mouth.

"I guess he realized how bored I was on the date, so he bought me some roses to make up for it. It didn't work, but I thank him for the roses. It makes our kitchen look nice," she said, her mouth full, but I'm not going to comment on that.

She's so frustrated right now, I'm just going to let her do what she wants. "Um, Mom? Could I, maybe, get a babysitting job?" I asked, hesitantly. She put down the cereal box and looked at me.

The microwave beeped, but she ignored it. "I've already told you, I will not allow you to have that job. Any other job, but that," she answered as she crossed her arms.

Any other job? You wouldn't mind me becoming a stripper then..?

"I've discussed this with you. Is there a babysitting job that you were offered? Or that you want to apply for? Because if you break my rule, you're in for some serious hell."

I gulped as she opened the microwave and took out her macaroni. She placed it on the counter and poured in her packet of cheese. She mixed it with a plastic fork, and then took a giant bite of it.