24.

I finally made it home, after several hours. My mother was sitting in the kitchen, with a glass of rum in her hand. She didn't say anything when I stood in front of her.

"Why didn't you tell me about your loans?" I asked her and her eyes widened. She looked up at me, panic spreading over her face.

"Wh-Where did you hear that?!" She yelled as she stood to her feet.

"Does it matter? I could've helped you, Mom!" I shouted, tears in my eyes and she placed a hand over her mouth. Her eyes were filled tears as well as stared at me.

"I'm so sorry... I've been a terrible mother... Let me explain, please," she told me, her voice trembling and I sat down across from her at the table. She gulped down the rest of her alcohol before sliding the glass away from her.

"Mom, explain."

"It's true, that I was fired at my job before I left for Vegas. But I was threatened by the CEO, worse than what I imagined. I had to use someone else's money to pay him back, but I didn't want to go to the bank to get a loan... It was very foolish of me, to not think about the danger you would be put in...

"So... I did my best to push you away, in hopes you would think of me as a horrible mother and move away. I didn't want to tell you, I was ashamed of what I did. Now those sharks are on my ass, and they know about you. They've been stalking you and me, and even Nathan. I'm so sorry."

She sobbed as she put her head down on the table. I cried with her as I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Mom, you should've told me earlier. It's true that you pissed me off, and that I hated you, but I knew that you were going through a difficult time."

She sobbed harder, and I stood from my chair. I was rushed to my room and took out the jewelry box where I stashed my cash. I pulled out the envelopes.

"What are you planning to do?" Nathan asked me, startling me and I turned to see him standing in the doorway. He had his arms crossed and was leaning against the frame.

I sighed as I looked at the envelopes in my hands. "I want to help my mom," I told him as I walked over to him. "And I'm sorry, Nathan. Please forgive me."

"Okay," he whispered as he embraced me tightly. I hugged him back, relieved that I was able to hug Nathan again. I was scared he would stay mad at me forever. "Please stop doing stupid things, Kimberly."

"I--"

Nathan cut me off as he grabbed both sides of my face and kissed me. My body froze up and my eyes widened. I closed my eyes and returned his kiss, and his hand moved to my waist and pulled me closer to him.

I pushed him away, feeling a bit awkward. "S-Sorry..." I told him before rushing to my mother who was sleeping at the table. "Nathan, can you help me?" I asked him and he didn't say anything as he picked up my mother and took her to her bedroom.

I followed him and I put the envelopes of cash on her nightstand. I felt sad for giving them to her, since I was saving that for college, but she needed it more than me.

Afterwards, I followed Nathan into the living room. "Nathan, I just want to say thank you. I always ask you for help, but I never offer any in return," I said, as he was about to sit down on the couch.

"Kimberly, I wanted to tell you this at a different time, but it can't wait."

I looked at him, confused. "W-What?"

"Look, Kimberly. It's not that I don't mind helping yo. I love helping you, in fact. I love seeing a smile on your face, and all I ever want is to be close to you. But that damn bastard came and took you away, and you fell for him."

I had no idea where this was going. Why was he bringing up Ryan?

"Kimberly, I like you. I-In fact, I love you. I've known you since we were kids, and all those silly promises we made, I wanna fulfill those," he confessed and my eyes widened. My heart began to race, and my cheeks felt hot.

Why was I feeling this way? I only saw Nathan as a friend. Besides, there's Ryan.

"I know, you like Ryan... But if there's even a slight chance for me, I want to take it." He stepped forward and grabbed my hand. I looked away in embarrassment. He was the one confessing, so why was I feeling embarrassed?

Everything has just been so confusing for me. I don't know what to do, or how to react. I don't know why I'm feeling this way, and it's not pity.

Nathan saw my face and sighed, placing a hand on the side of my face. "I'll give you some time to think about it," he said as he turned to go to his room.

His room actually was going to be turned into a huge walk-in closet for my mother, but he came before she was able to do any modifications.

"Nathan... I don't know what to do..."

"About what?" He turned back, and looked at me.

"N-Nothing..." I went to my room and closed the door behind me. I threw myself on my bed and I hugged my pillow.

I was lost, and I wanted to tell them what was happening, but I couldn't worry them like that. This was much more than just my mom's debt.

I couldn't tell them. I just couldn't. And that's what frustrated me.

×××××××××××××××××××××

:) WELL.... How was that?

To be honest, this started off as a high school story with a bad boy and then transformed to something else 😂😂

Ehh, nonetheless, I enjoy writing it. And this kinda inspired me to make another story lol.

Imma spoil you guys with a double update today xD

Thank you guys for your support. And the 3K reads, like holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

You guys got me to #624 in Teen Fiction as of 12/29/16, all thanks to you.

#346 in Teen Fiction as of 12/30/16
Goodness guys, you keep spoiling me!!! >_< I'm too happy

~Bethany<3