40.

"Are you still seeking to crush my father?" Ryan asked as he handed me a cup of black coffee. I took a sip and scrunched my nose when I tasted how strong the bitterness was. I smiled though, I didn't want to show that I disliked it. "It's a little too late now, since he's sick."

"He's sick? With what?" I asked as I took another sip of the extremely bitter coffee. My hand shook a bit as I tried to process the information. I found myself asking, "Is it serious?"

"It's... stage 4 lung cancer. We found out months ago, and we are informed that he only has a few more months to live. He's in the hospital, and that's probably where he's going to be living out the rest of his days..."

I crushed the cup without realizing and I spilled hot coffee all over me. It burned my skin and I yelped as I dropped the cup on the ground. Ryan and I were outside and he ended up running inside to get paper towels.

The truth was... I was upset. There was no way that Mr. Winchester could get cancer. I was supposed to be the reason why he died, not cancer. I wanted him to experience the pain he's caused me, not experience the pain cancer is causing him. I took my purse off the bench and I walked toward the parking lot. I got into my silver Hyundai Sonata and I dug my keys out of my purse.

I felt bad for leaving Ryan, but perhaps we could call it even. I started the car and I drove out of the parking lot, not even bothering to glance at the rear view mirror. I didn't want to see him, assuming he was standing there.

I wasn't sure where I was going, but home was not one of the places I wanted to go to. So, instead, I found myself heading towards the Winchester Hospital. I didn't realize it until I was literally parked in the parking lot and stepping out. I stared at the hospital. Memories of Nathan and my mother flooded back to me and I took a deep breath. I clutched my purse tightly in my hand as I headed towards the front doors.

It took a while to get to Mr. Winchester's room. At first the lady didn't let me, and then one of his bodyguards saw me. I guess the message spread that I was there to see him and he allowed me as the only exception, since no one else was allowed to visit him.

"He's in here," the body guard informed me as we stopped in front of the door of a VIP room. I took in a deep shaky breath, feeling hate, anger, anxiousness and nervousness all at the same time. But I constantly reminded myself that I could not let him off the hook and he is not to be underestimated, even when he's on his deathbed. I slid open the door and I entered quietly, keeping my gaze away from him until I was fully inside the room,

"Hello, Ms. Adams," Mr. Winchester said in a raspy voice. I looked up at him and he was super pale and I've never seen him in such a weak state before. He gave me a small smirk as he had the hospital bed elevate him with a click of a button. He gestured for me to come closer to him and I did. I took a seat on a rolling stool, and I placed my purse in my lap. "I'm surprised to see you here, visiting me. I'm assuming you've seen Ryan and how successful he is now thanks to you. He's also scheduled to get married soon."

My chest tightened at the word married, but I didn't dare let Mr. Winchester see how painful it was for me to hear that. I smiled as I brought my legs closer together, my knees pressing against each other so hard it was hurting. "I'm glad I could help. I'm honestly happy for him, and I decided to have a change of heart and visit you. Despite all we've been through, Mr. Winchester, it still hurt me to hear that you have to be like this."

He chuckled and then went into a fit of coughing afterwards. One of his bodyguards rushed in and helped him as he coughed up some blood. "You're truly hilarious, Ms. Adams," he said, out of breath as he pointed a finger at me. "I know why you're here, Kimberly. You're here to see if I'm dead yet. Although I'm close to death, there's still a lot I could do to you and your family. So stay away from Ryan and allow him to live his life, and let him be happily married. He was barely able to move on from you."

He warned me and threatened me at the same time. I kept my smile on my face as I pushed a strand of hair out of my face. "I have no desire to stand in the way of any marriage."

"Good. Visit me often, Ms. Adams. You're a real joy," he told me with a small smile. The bodyguard that came in and helped him, took me by the arm and led me out of the room. I saw the hospital bed lower back down and he coughed some more. I stood outside the hospital room, unsure of what to do.

"Ms. Adams, correct?" A young average looking man came up to me. I looked at him in confusion and he stepped closer to me and shoved a small piece of paper into my hand. "Just do what it says," he added, before nervously walking away. I looked towards the bodyguards to see if they noticed something and I quietly walked away as well. When I rounded a corner, I opened my hand and unfolded the piece of paper.

It read: Meet me on the roof.

I wasn't sure who sent this note, but I blindly went to the rooftop of the hospital. I didn't know what to expect, but as I climbed the stairs to the rooftop, my heart began to beat faster and faster as so many thoughts ran through my head.

When I opened the door to the rooftop, I saw the back of him. He was standing there, smoking a cigarette with his hand in his pocket. He back was to me and he was facing the railing, and looking up at the sky. I nervously began taking steps towards him, crumpling the paper even more in my hand. He turned around slowly, and when he noticed me, he gave me a weak smile.

"What, too scared to come to me in person?" I asked, holding up the crumpled piece of paper. He threw his cigarette on the ground and then crushed it with the bottom of his dress shoes. He ran his hand through his hair and then inhaled deeply.

He turned back around to face the rest of the city. "I would, but it would cause too much of a scandal."

"A scandal?"

"My fiancée is a celebrity, an amazing actress. Now that I'm engaged to her, I have paparazzi always on top of me 24/7. So, going up to you would've been bad."

"Is that why you're here? To discuss your fiancée with me?"

"Goddammit, Kimberly. Why did you have to show up now?" He asked, anger in his voice as his fists clenched tightly. I stood there, feeling pain in my chest again as I watched him. "Did you know how hard it was for me when you left and I never heard from you for 2 years?"

"I was always going to come back, Ryan. I always do, but what about you? Were you ever going to come back for me when you left me standing there in front of the hospital? Huh? You're the one who went and got engaged, and became what, the CEO of the hotel?"

"I'm in line for the position, I'm not the CEO yet. And this is an arranged marriage, Kimberly. You think I want to marry her?"

"What's wrong with you, Ryan? You used to be so against your father, and now you're willing to do whatever he wants..." I said and he turned around, tears in his eyes and I looked away, keeping both my hands wrapped around the strap of my purse. He stepped closer, and I felt myself stepping back. He stretched his arm towards me, his hand close to my face.

"Kimberly.... You're still so beautiful-," he whispered and I took a step backwards again.

"I came because I have one last request of you," I said to him as I glanced up, looking straight into his eyes.

"What is it?"

"I'd like a position at your hotel."

×××××××××××××××××××××××

Thank you so much for reading!!! And getting my story to 73K+ it is truly wonderful! :)

I'm trying my best to make the chapters longer, I feel like they're super short.

Thank you all so much for your comments and your votes, they really brighten my day :').

Also don't mind my mistakes in my story, just a reminder, I always write new chapters late at night, which is where I find lots of my inspiration, but make a lot of mistakes.

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow :)) love you all

~Bethany<3