18.

"I, um, recently dropped out of college," she informed me, the woman from yesterday. Her name is Bernice, and she's 21 years old.

"How come?" I asked her, writing some things down on a notepad.

"My family couldn't afford it anymore, and my Pa got sick. Diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so it's been tough. I started working three jobs, which is quit two recently. I was a barista at Starbucks, just the mornings and went to Walmart for the afternoons, and then a bar for the evenings."

I was writing what she was saying down, but I pretended like I wasn't. I lied, saying I was outlining some things for this essay I was working on.

The essay part was true. I needed a project about any topic that I could choose from, or even make one up. But, it needs to inform the audience and persuade them, as well.

"My mom works at this Goodwill factory. She earns money by separating clothes and stuff. It seems like a pretty easy job. But she's not so young anymore, so it's really hard on her health, too. And it made me feel so bad...she saved up so much money her whole life, never once bought herself anything, because she wanted to put all of it towards my career."

I wrote some more down. I noticed tears came out of her eyes and I wanted to comfort her, but it would only make her cry hard. And, I wanted her to continue on.

"She was devastated when she found out my Pa had Alzheimer's. It had gotten so bad one day, he forgot how to walk all of a sudden, so he fell down real hard. And he woke up, disabled from the waist below. I don't even know how that could happen. So, I convinced my mom to use rest of the money for my Pa. I dropped out to help, and then, that's when I met Keith.

"He was the perfect guy. He was always there when I needed him, my mom liked him a lot. He talked to my Pa, when Pa was able to talk and remember stories. He really liked Keith on most days. It's been more than a year, since we dated, and he's helped out so much.... Everything has been so stressful for me."

She wiped her tears with the back of her hand. I finished writing, and I put my notepad away. "Are you going to move back with them?" I asked her, standing up and putting away the notepad in one of my desk drawers.

"I can't. I just moved out. They're a couple of states away. My mom believes I am happy right now, and if that makes her happy...then, I'll keep it like that."

I nodded slowly, unsure of what to say. I had a lot of things to tell her and ask her, but I felt like it would be too bombarding, so I kept quiet.

"Let's just get to bed. I have school tomorrow," I told her and she covered her mouth.

"I am so, so, so sorry. I shouldn't have talked so much. I hope you aren't too tired tomorrow," she said, but I shook my head.

"Don't worry too much, I enjoyed it very much. Thank you, Bernice. Goodnight," I said as I laid down in my bed. She laid down on the floor, on the stacks of blankets that make a substitute for a mattress.

I let her use one of the blankets my grandma knitted me and I gave her tons of pillows, which my grandma also made. They were the only extra ones we have, ever since Nathan came and took a bunch of blankets and pillows.

***

"How can you trust her?" Nathan asked me, as we walked to the cafeteria where Maria was sitting at a booth. I sat down next to her and Nathan sat across from us.

"I don't. But her story makes a great topic for this project that is due, um, in two weeks, I think," I answered him and Maria looked at both of us confused.

We explained to her what happened and then she finally understood. "I think you're too nice, sometimes," Maria inputted and I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks, and it's not like I told her my entire life story and everything about me. It's not like I gave her my social security number and the PIN number to my bank account," I explained to Nathan.

"Whatever, so what's on the menu?" Nathan asked Maria and she sighed.

"Nothing good, sadly."

"Bummer."

"You don't even eat school lunch, anyways," I said to Nathan.

***

"Hailey, Yolanda made some delicious muffins, want to go eat some?" I asked her, as she put one of her Barbie dolls in a car and drove it around.

"No, I wanna pway," she replied and I sighed.

"Okay. How about I bring some muffins up and we can eat and then start playing again really quick?" I tried convincing her.

She thought about it for a bit, and then nodded. "Okay."

I went down to the kitchen, and when I was going to enter, Ryan stuck out his foot. I tried to avoid it, but I wasn't fast enough. I tripped, almost falling, but he caught me.

"You're so clumsy," he said and I stuck my tongue out. He stuck his tongue out back at me.

He followed me into the kitchen and watched me as I put muffins onto a separate plate.

"Hey, want to come watch me fight?" He asked me. I almost busted out laughing, but I didn't want to upset him too quickly.

"No, I barely wanted to watch you punch that guy the other day," I answered and he snatched a muffin.

"It's nothing too dirty...and if I win, I get some good cash. So, come and support me."

"It sounds pretty dirty, especially if it's for money."

"Fine, don't come then. What if something terrible happens to me? Whatever, friend." He walked away, throwing the muffin on the ground.

Why is it so hard and complicated just to be friends? Even just an acquaintance?

××××××××××××××××××××

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. :)

Guys, don't be afraid to go after your dreams. Especially, if they're reasonable and within your capabilities. Life is all about trial and error. Find what works for you.

Love you all, and thanks for the support.

~Bethany<3