4.

"Welcome to the Winchester Residence." Two bodyguards greeted me as I stepped out of the limo, the driver hold the door open for me.

I thanked him. As I gazed up at this enormous mansion, I suddenly felt small and weak.

"Pweety girl!!"

I turned to see Hailey running out the door, stumbling down the steps and I caught her at the end. "Be careful, we don't want you getting hurt, okay?" I said and she nodded happily with a giant smile.

She took me by the hand and led me inside. The driver followed silently behind. "Welcome," a maid greeted as she waited for us to pass by. She was carrying one of those Swifter dusters. They really do work like magic.

"Yollama!" Hailey called as she guided me passed the elevators, and into the giant kitchen.

Yollama? I'm confused..

There was a tall, thick woman standing behind a counter rolling dough. She had flour all over her maroon apron and some on her forehead.

She was very dark, a beautiful chocolatey brown that shined under the lights. Her hair was up in a bun, underneath a hair net.

"Dis is Yollama," Hailey said and the woman looked up and smiled at me. Her teeth were a pearly white and perfectly straight. They blinded me as I tried to smile back.

"I'm Yolanda, I'm the top cook here, and baker. I enjoy baking Hailey sweets though, even though I shouldn't," Yolanda said with a guilty smile.

I sat down on one of the bar stools and watched as she furiously rolled the dough, and then cut out different shapes with a knife. She was very skilled, the shapes were all perfect as if she had used a shaped cutter instead of her own knife.

"I'm Kimberly."

...

Awkward silence..... okay.

I watched as Yolanda rolled the dough out again and cut another set of different shapes. Three trays of shapes were on the counter. She finished making a fourth one before putting them all into the large ovens.

"Aren't you a high school student, Kimberly?" Yolanda asked me as she wiped herself down with a towel before putting it on the counter.

I nodded as I swallowed slowly. She just stared at me.

"Listen, I really hope you're not just doing this for the money. Because I for sure didn't, I did this for Hailey's sake. And so I hope you do too. High school students can have fun, but keep your damn shenanigans far away from here and Hailey as possible. Understood?"

I gulped nervously as I nodded quickly. "O-Of course! I don't have any intentions of causing trouble!" I spoke up, trying to sound strong, but I get so intimidated easily.

"Good." She turned to Hailey and had a really sweet smile on her face. "Honey, why don't you go and show Kimberly your amazing Barbie doll collection?"

Hailey nodded excitedly and grabbed my hand quickly and began to pull me away from the kitchen. We went to the elevator and got inside. She pressed the 5th floor.

The 5th floor?! Is this some hotel or something?

We turned right and went down a long hallway, and then left and another long hallway, until we finally got to her gigantic room that was almost the size of my house.

In one corner was the most gigantic collection I've ever seen. She had everything. Every single Barbie item that I have seen in stores and on TV, plus so much more that I didn't even know existed.

I used to like playing with Barbie dolls as a little girl, because I always had a hard time expressing my passion through sports. So, I did all the girly things and enjoyed it.

I had always dreamed of having a collection this big.

I would offer Hailey one of my old ones, that I still have. (Yes, I still have some...so embarrassing.) But she would already have it....

I could still give it to her, it wouldn't hurt. It never hurts to try to get closer to her.....but that's the thing. It's going to hurt, if I build a strong bond with her.

If my mother ever did find out about this job, she would pull me away from Hailey, and I would never get to see her again.

I smiled as I watched Hailey show me her Barbie car collection, and showed me a pink one that was decorated in Hello Kitty stickers, and purple marker doodles. She was a sweet little girl that I couldn't ever dare to hurt.

But a part of me wants to get to know her, be close to her, finally have someone that could look up to me...
Finally.....

Please, Mom, don't take take this happiness away from me..

***

I told the driver to drop me off a couple houses away, and when I arrived at my house, my mother was waiting angrily at the kitchen table.

"Do you know what time it is, missy?" She asked, impatiently as she stood up from her chair. I sighed, tired as I glanced at the clock.

"It's 8:23," I answered her question as I tried to walk to my room.

"Where have you been?"

"I've been out looking for a job. I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I lied and her face relaxed a little, but she was still mad at me.

"Why didn't you just tell me? You had me worried sick! If you want a job, I can help you get a job," she offered, but I shook my head.

"Mom, if you want me to grow up, I should find this job myself. I got this, Mom. Don't worry, you don't have to do anything."

She took a while before nodding. "Okay... Don't forget to wash up before going to bed, I know how much of a tomboy you can be. Hygiene is important!" She reminded me before walking to her bedroom.

Once I got into my bedroom, I sighed a sigh of relief as I fell into the opening arms of my bed. It cradled me as I rolled myself up like a burrito in my blanket.

I'm so glad she believed my lie. I was so nervous, I was going to piss my pants. Mothers always detect a lie somehow, and they always find out everything.

Geez, there's no scarier person in the world than your own mother....

And wash up? I'll just do that in the morning.

I went out like a light.

×××××××××××××××××××××

Here is a shorter chapter, I apologize.

I've been having nothing but tests this whole week.

Yuck.

Anyways, thank you all for reading!! Almost 200 reads, an awesome milestone.

If you enjoyed it, even just a little bit, please vote.

I appreciate it all the support. Thank you all. :)

~Bethany<3