39.

Two Years Later...

"Hmm, this one, or this one?" My mother held up two dresses. I pointed at the mauve colored dress. It was more of a bodycon dress, but I knew it would make my mother feel more confident. "I like the color on you," I added as I continued sorting through the rack of clothes. We were in the clearance section of the store.

"What do you think?" Nathan asked, walking up to us. He tried on black jeans, a red button up shirt with a white fake leather jacket. He topped it all off with a fedora, which I reached for and took it off, and put it on my head. He did a 360 and he struck a pose and I giggled.

"I think it looks great. But... without the white jacket," I answered and he nodded in agreement. He snatched the fedora back and reached down to kiss me. "Anything else?"

"The hat looks great," my mother said as she piled more dresses over her arm to try on. I looked back at her and she gave me a wink.

"Thanks," Nathan replied and I turned back to see him with a wide grin on his face. Mr. Bradley joined us short after wearing a new suit. I sighed as I turned to my mother. She was already walking towards him.

"Timothy. You've got to learn how to dress comfortably," my mother scolded him and he adjusted his tie around his neck.

"But I am comfortable," he responded and she grabbed his arm and dragged him. I watched as they disappeared farther into the store and Nathan and I stood there laughing.

"I'm done shopping already. It just isn't my thing," Nathan said as he pushed up the sleeve of the jacket to reveal a watch around his wrist. He looked at the time and thought a little. "We've been here about 3 hours," he added.

"3 hours? That's nothing. My mother and I could get here when the mall opens and still not be done by the time it closes," I said, waving my hand down and scoffing. I continued to browse through racks, picking my size in whatever clothes that catch my eye.

"Goodness. I don't know how girls do it."

***

I clutched my purse tightly to my body as I stared up at the massive hotel before me. I took deep breaths as I began to put one foot in front of the other. The closer I got to the entrance, the sicker I felt to my stomach.

I could hear Nathan's voice in my head, telling me that I don't have to do this. I had vowed to never regret anything in my life. I honestly admitted that I did not regret saying goodbye to Ryan. But, here I was, hoping to see his face.

I felt the cool conditioned air as soon as I entered the hotel. I had a flashback to when Ryan first kissed me, and it was in this very hotel. I sighed, wishing that I did not remember.

"Yes, sir."

I turned my head to see a woman in a suit handing over a manilla folder to a man in a suit. I couldn't see who it was, because their back was to me. Their hair was styled up, and their suit was not a plain black one, it was an olive green suit, and it looked like it was made of silk. "What an expensive man," I mumbled to myself.

I was about to turn and walk away, but the man turned around. My eyes widened as I stared in shock at whom the man was. Our eyes met and his eyes had widened, too. He pulled his hand out of his pocket and handed the folder back to the woman. He walked towards me, and I braced myself.

Instead of stopping, he continued walking passed me and I stood there with my purse in my tightly clenched fists. I let out a sigh of relief and I suddenly wondered why I was relieved. Was I truly scared of facing him after two years?

"Ryyyyaaaannnn!!!!" A woman's voice sang out, followed by an incredibly high pitched squeal. I was rammed into and I turned to see a woman with blonde hair that was into loose curls, and she was wearing the shortest mini skirt I have ever seen.

Ryan turned to be surprised when she threw her arms around him. I found a grin creeping onto my face and I realized that my head was nodding slowly. I have no regrets, but yet I feel this sort of pain that makes my chest hurt. I watched them as they exchanged a couple of words. I had this unsettling feeling, and I didn't know what it was.

I looked at them one last time, before excusing myself from the hotel. As I was walking, I heard someone calling my name. "Kimberly! Kimberly!" I turned to see it was Ryan. We met each other halfway, and I could tell he was in distress.

"Why now? Why, after two years?" He asked me, out of breath, as he ran some fingers through this hair. I swallowed over the painful lump in my throat and I looked up at him in the eyes.

"Because... three would be too long."

××××××××××××××××××××××××

This was a waaaaay shorter chapter, and yes, I am time skippiiing. I think two years is a perfect time, because a lot could happen in 2 years. Or is it just me?

Anyways, thank you so much for reading!!! I really appreciate it.

I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE if my book appears to be sloppy, choppy or rushed, or all of the above, in any sort of way. I don't mean it to be, but once I complete this story, I will sometime after, go in and edit it and revise it.

I thank you all for the support. :)

~Bethany<3