17.

It has been a couple of days since the whole lunch thing at the hotel. I couldn't stop thinking of the kiss, and how bipolar Ryan seems to be. He's nice one second and then rude the next. I can't keep up with his moods.

"Are you okay?" Nathan asked me and I looked over at him. He had a notebook on his lap and a pencil in his hand, that he was twirling around.

"Yeah, I'm good," I answered him and he sighed, not even going to bother to ask me anymore questions.

Which was fine, because I didn't feel like answering any more questions.

"Kim. Could you read this essay? It's a rough draft, but I think it's missing something," he said as he handed me his notebook.

"Sure," I told him as I took it and set it down, flat on the table. I read it, and it was an informative essay on how 'Happiness is the Cure to Disease'.

"So....what did you think?" He asked, not sounding confident as he looked at me with nervous eyes.

"Well, a couple misspellings, nothing too serious though. I think you did pretty good. I don't know kind of teacher you have, but maybe adding some emotion to it. Just a tiny bit, though."

He nodded as he took the notebook back. He went back to writing, mostly erasing.

Then, my mother walked in, slouching and she wore a sad expression on her face. Concern settled inside of me as I stood up and went to her.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I asked her and she sighed. And then, suddenly, a bright smile appeared on her face.

"Guess who got a job?!" She exclaimed, super excited and my eyes widened.

"Really??" I asked her and she nodded, happily. We hugged each other, tightly and tears began to form in my eyes. "I'm so happy for you, Mom."

"By the way, how has your job hunting been going? It's taking you longer than expected," she said and I cleared my throat. I clasped my hands together and gave her a small smile.

"Honestly, Mom. I was thinking of joining the Army, maybe even the Air Force," I suggested the idea to her and her jaw dropped. She smacked me with her hand.

"Army? Air Force? What good will that do you? Listen, I talked to my friend Amy and she knows someone who works at a hospital. They're accepting interns. I think it's a great opportunity for you to learn."

I sighed as I looked away from her. "I see... I'll think about it..."

"There's no thinking about it, I've already told her you're interested. Next month, I said, that you'll be ready," she explained and then walked away to her room.

I looked over to Nathan, who was staring at me. I scoffed as I grabbed my jacket off one of the chairs and walked out the front door.

I couldn't believe my mother. She's always told me that it's great to have dreams, but they'll never come true. And then, sometimes she'll tell me that it's important to know what you want to do in life.

But, just when I am almost done figuring out my future. She just comes in and takes control of my life.

I began to walk up the sidewalk, but Nathan calls out to me.

"Kimberly! Wait!" Nathan jogged after me and I sighed as I turned around to face him.

"Look, I'll talk with you when I get home. Just, let me have some time to myself," I said to him, not giving him a chance to say something.

I walked faster, away from him, and certainly away from my house.

"Who does she think she is? Not even bothering to show up at the house for days, and suddenly comes in and tells me how to live my life..." I mumbled as I made my way to a McDonald's.

I checked my pocket and I only had 6 dollars and a quarter, along with some pennies. I walked inside and got a large Dr. Pepper and a small cup of fries. I grabbed some napkins and shoved them in my pocket.

"Were you with her again last night?" A woman raised her voice on the other side of the building. I looked over. She was standing up, talking to a man who was sitting down.

I shifted my gaze somewhere else. I didn't want to be caught staring.

"Are you serious? I told you, I was just out with some friends," he defended and I shook my head.

"'Friends', my ass. I saw her instagram. I bet her lips taste real good, don't they? Better than mine, right?" I heard liquid spill and I turned to see the man had soda all over him and the woman walked out.

He sighed as he put his head down on the table. I grabbed my drink and fries and walked out, as well. When I came outside, I heard crying.

I saw the woman leaning against a car, sobbing and I walked over to her.

"I don't know the whole story...but, it's all going to be okay," I said to her and she continued to cry. I offered her some french fries, but she declined.

"I-I...I l-loved him... I-I trusted h-him," she said, she hiccupped as she looked over at me. Her eyeliner and mascara ran down her cheeks.

"I don't know exactly what you are going through, but trust me. My mom loved my dad a lot, before he passed. But he broke her trust so many times, he had a lot of 'side hoes', I guess that's the term you would use. She was convinced on filing for divorce, but she wanted to make it right, one last time. But, that's when he died, while he was away in Afghanistan."

She seemed to calm down a bit. She was interested in the story I was telling her. I offered her fries again and she took some.

"You know, my mom took it really hard. There was a letter they found, in his bag that they sent to my mom. It told her how much he was sorry for all the pain he made her go through. It explained how while he was away at war, it changed how he felt about the marriage.

"He told her that, when he got back, he will do whatever it takes to save their marriage. Not only did he want to fight for the country, but for their marriage, too. So, what I'm trying to say is.... if he is the right guy... he will realize it. It's just going to take some time."

She began to sob again and suddenly, she pulled me into a hug. It felt awkward at first, but I hugged her back.

"Actually, do you have somewhere I can stay? I currently moved in with him...and my friends are mad at me. So, I have nowhere to go," she said, and I nodded.

My mom would be mad at me, but, I really didn't care anymore. "My house is like a street and a half away. Do you mind walking?"

"No, not at all, thank you."

××××××××××××××××××××

I really didn't know what to do about this chapter.

But I guess you guys can learn more about Kimberly's dad. Maybe even introduce a new friend.

Thank you all so much.

As I said before, I am accepting any kind of criticism about my writing.

I am looking for more ways to improve my writing.

Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow for more.

Thank you.

~Bethany<3