Table Talk

"Come down for dinner, Rosie dear!" Our cook Niamh called. I snatched the paper from the window and shoved it between Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice on my dresser. It'll just have to wait. Quickly, I smoothed back my loose curls and tried to ease the shaking of my hands.

Golly me, he must have broken the lock! It surely wasn't like that yesterday. I'm absolutely sure of it, for I sat and read near that window just yesterday morning. My curiosity grew and grew as I shuffled down the stairs and into the dining room. I kissed each of my older brothers on the cheek one by one in greeting. After settling down, my intrigue was nearly satiated by what my father said next.

"My Rosalie, I have some- some exciting news to inform you of," My father grimaced. "A new mafia group has entered town, and a very powerful group at that. Their leader is Callahan Romano, half-Irish, half Italian. I usually leave you out of these things, but indeed I cannot. Mr. Romano's gang will be staying with us for at least six months due to....complications with our group. But Rose, you shouldn't worry as-"

"We'll protect you!"

"I'll kill any man who touches you."

"You'll be kept under lock and key."

"We'd never let him hurt you!"

"We'll keep you safe."

My brothers Brendan, Conor, Patrick, Johnny, and Colin chimed in, grinding their teeth and making gestures that implicated immediate death to anyone who crossed the line.

"If his people are staying here, they most certainly have no desire to harm us, correct? I have no reason to be afraid of him." I stated, wholly surprised not by their possessiveness, but by their obvious fear when speaking of his powerful gang.

"No Rosie, you don't understand. He's a dangerous man, but we need to solve things with him. And while we do, you must stay as far away as possible from him. Never go anywhere without me or one of your brothers. Now, eat your potato soup like a good girl. Let's have no more talk of evil men."

I quietly ate my vegetables while thinking over and over about the tall man I saw. Could he be Mr. Romano? I must find out.

"Da, when will Mr. Romano and his men arrive?" I asked, dreading the admonishment for speaking of an evil man.

My father scowled before answering, "A few men including their leader arrived today, but they don't move into our mansion until tomorrow." And that was that.