Movie Date and Flashes of Red

Cal fumbled around with his keys, and he kept glancing at me worriedly. I know he's nervous about our new dynamic, but I think this date is going to be the start of something great.

                          We can be totally honest with each other from now on. Cal doesn't need to wear the facade of a cruel mafia man to impress me. Sure, he's naturally possessive and clever and darkly handsome... but he is not a monster- just a young man trying to protect his family.

                          I couldn't contain my excitement. This is how it all should have been like from the beginning: cute dates and shy glances. Unfortunately, our circumstances were not normal. Luckily for us, though, everything is falling perfectly into place. We were going on a movie date, Cal's family was staying with us, Niall's on his way to an institution, I've been reuniting with old friends, and my anxiety levels have rapidly decreased. My grief over losing Ma was still overwhelming, but I was absorbing the love of those around me. And Cal's newfound adorableness was helping a lot.

                       After settling down in a theater, Cal pushed down the armrest so we could cuddle. Thankfully, the movie had been released several days prior so the theater was nearly empty. I snuggled close into Callahan's chest and sighed with content. I could get used to this.

                          Throughout the film, Cal would stroke my hair or caress my cheek, and I had to remind him numerous times that this was a public place. This was especially so when he pulled me onto his lap and tucked me under his chin. His arms wrapped tight around my torso and, oh my, shivers just ran down my spine. The position was warm and comfortable, and something about it felt so intimate. Our relationship was out there for anyone to see, and here I was, encompassed by the arms of a beautiful boy.

                            After the movie, I was filled with elation. I felt so much closer to Cal since being so, well, close to him. I was almost dizzy with happiness. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a thin boy with a mop of red hair, and I froze.

                             I was about to say something to Cal when he mentioned a dance downtown tomorrow night. Not wanting to ruin the moment over what was most likely a coincidence, I brushed off my paranoia and gushed over going to the dance. Niall is going away soon; I don't have to stress over him. Ignoring my worries was a huge step. Anxiety wasn't going to beat me down anymore. I was moving on.