Hair Pieces and Masterpieces

I conjugated Latin verbs with my tutor for an hour straight, but I just could not get my mind off of Mr. Romano.

"Amo, amas, amat,..."
I love; you love; he loves...

I certainly didn't love him per se, but I did love things about him. His eyes, his smile, his mysterious aura- I just couldn't understand his personality. Hopefully, I'd get to know him better at lunch tomorrow. My stomach lurched with excitement and anxiety.

My day went like any other boring day, except for the fact that there was a gang meeting (that I wasn't invited to) the entire day. I assume they were debating whether or not I should see Mr. Romano tomorrow, but I knew that Mr. Romano wouldn't take no for an answer. And judging by the somber look on my family members' faces as they exited the conference room, they knew it too.

Again, I barely slept a wink during the night. I knew I should be solemn like the rest of the gang, but this was like a marvelous novel! Unassuming girl, check; dangerous but handsome man, check; etc. etc.!

I just don't know how my story will play out.

I woke up bright and early, an hour or so before Charlotte would arrive. I drew my own bath and added scented oils: vanilla and rose petals. While the clawed foot tub filled up, I meticulously picked out my apparel for the day.

I chose a pastel yellow day dress with lace detailing and a swooping neck line. I added my mother's locket for good luck and my granny's Claddagh ring. My father had given me a Celtic hair piece as well, so I piled that onto my to-be-worn stack.

After soaking for a good half hour, I dried off and ran a comb through my tangled hair.

Charlotte soon arrived, readying me for my important day. She complimented my outfit and wove the hairpiece through my locks, leaving the loose curls down in a flattering manner.

"Beautiful! My masterpiece!" She exclaimed whilst beaming. I thanked her and checked the time.

Oh my goodness gracious! He'd be here in a quarter of an hour! How long had we spent on my hair?

I scrambled down the stairs and greeted my family, hugging and kissing each of them. To my astonishment, Father began to cry. "I'm so sorry we have to let that monster court you, Rosalie dearest. You're the apple of my eye, and everyone in our gangs' too. I wish it didn't have to be this way." He kissed the top of my head tenderly and patted my cheek. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh, Da! Really, I don't mind. I'm sure he won't be too bad once I get to know him!" I gave him a toothy grin and tried to ignore the fact that his weeping only increased.

We were interrupted by a heavy knock on the door, and I rushed to open it, nearly tripping on an oriental rug. I had barely opened the door before I was enveloped by muscular arms in a tight embrace with the one and only Callahan Romano.