A New Start

August 1959

        "Do you think Eileen will like me?" I asked Cal. My fingers fidgeted worriedly in my lap. I really hope my dorm roommate is nice! All I know is she comes from Illinois. A midwestern girl!

       "Of course she will," Cal smiled reassuringly, then smirked- "If she doesn't, she'll have to deal with me." He made a tough guy face, and I burst into giggles. The hand not on the steering wheel linked with mine. Cal tenderly kissed the back of my hand.

          We both know his scary facade vanished the day he applied for college. He's ready for a fresh start, and so am I. With our family gangs shut down for good, we have freedom. I can be a baker or a teacher or anything I want. I'm outside the confining walls of the mafia.

           Cal doesn't have to kill or bully people for money. He never enjoyed it. Now his family sits comfortably on a cushion of cash, and he can work on his own studies and aspirations. My brothers are all working in trades they'd always been interested in- real estate,  architecture, you name it. Not to mention a certain maid and a certain brother are soon to be married!

            College is something I never saw in my future, but neither was Cal. I guess life has a funny way of giving you things you didn't know you really needed.

                                 The End

•••

Wow! I can't believe it's actually over. I'll probably add an epilogue/bonus chapters if you guys like- let me know!

All I can say is I'm so thankful for the readers, the voters, the commentators, and everyone who made this story possible. I love you guys!

-ky

{p.s. Another story is on the way!}