Pacing and Planning

Cal continued to cradle me as we made our way back to the house. My sobbing ceased, but I didn't dare speak to him. I needed to think of a plan to save Mr. Lelanski.

Though I felt that I should recoil from his touch, I couldn't. My hands gripped the fabric of his shirt, and my face was buried in his chest.

When we reached my bedroom, he carefully set me on the bed. Cal removed my shoes and drew the covers up to my neck, tucking the blankets around me. When he'd finished, he gazed at me with such puzzlement that I couldn't meet his eyes.

"Rosie, why did you run away from me? What did I do to upset you? I know you don't like that I shot Tony, but he deserved it and he won't die. You just- You really scared me when I saw you on the lawn in a heap. You're making me very nervous by not saying anything right now. Oh Lord, you're driving me over the edge! I can't sleep; I can't think; I can't kill without thinking of you. God! Say something!" His manic eyes searched mine for an answer, but the only thing I could reply to his ramble was,

"What did Mr. Lelanski do?"

"That's what this is all about?" His mouth dropped open, and he groaned whilst shoving himself off the bed. Callahan paced around my bedroom before stating, "He owes money, and he refuses to pay it back. He has nothing else to give, so the price is death."

I frowned. "That is absolutely barbaric."

He sighed. "That's life, sweetheart. It's my job. And you, my love, don't have to worry about my job. I don't want you hurting yourself like you nearly did on the back lawn." Cal caressed my cheek before leaning in close to my face for a kiss.

He looked at me for permission, and I very much wanted to kiss him, but all I could think about was poor Mr. Lelanski. I sharply turned my head to avoid his lips which pressed into my cheek.

As he rose, I remained turned away. He audibly gulped before abruptly spinning around and exiting. I rolled over and watched the door close after him, and I began to think of a plan.