Lovebirds and Visitors

His face darkened. "Why do you say that?"
He looked affronted, but also worried that if seen through him.

         "Cal, you let the Lelanskis just leave because I wanted you too. You're not a monster. You're not heartless. You love your family; you're kind to me... You've only been a gang leader for one year. It's not too late to make a new life. A new life with me."

           His eyes brightened; a huge grin stretched across his face. He looked so happy, so genuine.

            Cal leaned in to kiss me, but I stopped him with a question, "Cal, what makes you happy?"

             He leaned against an oak tree, pulling me towards him. "You make me happy. My mom and sisters make me happy. Books make me happy. Football makes me happy."

"Does killing people make you happy?"

               He shook his head, and played with the ends of my hair. "No, Rosie, killing people does not make me happy. It never has. It's my job as a Romano son though." A look of regret crossed his face, and I wondered what he had lost joining the mafia.

               "What did you do before last year?" I inquired softly.

               Callahan didn't lift his eyes from the strands of my hair before saying, "I had a plan to come to you with a college degree. I thought I'd have a better chance of courting you if I was fully educated. I went through two years at University of Notre Dame in Indiana with a major in Accounting. Unfortunately my father died leaving me his gang and his responsibilities and his debts."

             He choked up, and I patted his cheek tenderly. "It's okay. Go on."

            Cal nodded, took a shaky breath, and continued, "My family was in debt. I told myself I'd only lead as long as it took to pay back what was necessary. Over the first several months I had a surplus of cash and a reputation. I didn't know how to stop- I don't know how to stop." He broke off as my brother Brendan stalked over.

             "Ay! You lovebirds over there! No more of that! We've got visitors." He bellowed.

            Callahan groaned. We walked slowly hand in hand towards the house. Upon entry we were met with the screaming of little children and a motherly woman I'd never met.

Cal paled, "Ma?"