Revelations and an Old Friend

As we walked downtown, Char struck up a lively conversation with me. We laughed about my morning's stupidity and even began to discuss her infatuation with my brother! I was filled to the brim with excitement. Charlotte is already a sister to me, but it would be hip to make it official.

                     On our way downtown we passed a newspaper stand, and Char snagged a paper. "Oh, Rosie, look! Remember Walt Disney? He created the movie that sure did razz my berries! Look here- he has a new film out January 29! Isn't 1959 a wonderful year? First Alaska, now Sleeping Beauty. Maybe your scary sweetheart would take you! You haven't seen a film in ages..." Charlotte trailed off as she noticed my lack of focus. "What's the tale, nightingale?"

                       I recognized the girl running the flower stand- Hayley? She walked to school with me years ago. I rushed over to her booth, stumbling past the homeless begging for a Washington. I fished some coins out my purse for the men and women, and that's when Hayley spotted me.

                        "Rosalie? Is that you? It's been far too long since we've been in orbit, dolly!" I giggled; Hayley's always been dramatic. She'd make a great actress one day.

"Hayley! I thought that was you!" We embraced, and she continued to chatter. "Aw, Rosie, I miss you! We all felt so badly when you left. No one took it harder than the St. Raphael boys, though!" Hayley chortled and poked me in the shoulder.

I frowned. St. Raphael boys? Saint Raphael's was the all-boys school a couple blocks from my old school, and we interacted on a couple occasions. Sure, the boys talked to me often enough, but I didn't think any of them would miss me! I only knew a couple of the boys' names- Gerald, Seamus, Lorenzo, Declan, Callahan,...

Oh golly gee. I knew that name rang a bell! And go figures, his nickname was Cal. Guess I didn't make that one up.

I was so caught up with this revelation that I had met Callahan Romano when we were both young, that I didn't realize Hayley was still rambling.

"- and gee whiz! That Cal never did get over you leaving. His street fights increased by about 110%. But he sure was good looking! Too bad he always had his sights on you... I mean it's difficult to go to a dance with someone who's been in love with the same girl since we were seven. That's probably why he never went to any dances. He was a stud at football though! That anger and loneliness really made him swell at tackling. And it most likely makes him real swell at whatever criminal activities he's going on about now. Cal always said he would find you again- speaking of, has he? Have you two reunited?" She beamed at me in anticipation.

I vaguely remembered a tall, dark-haired boy a couple grades above me. My brothers wouldn't have known him since they went to Saint Patrick's several streets over. At the time, we lived in between St. Pat's and my school instead of in between mine and St Raphael's.

I thought back to young Callahan, and I remembered how we were often the only two who went to the joint library for recess instead of the playground. I recalled being confused as to why the school's jock would rather read than play football during this time.

He was so shy, and we barely spoke. What about me made him fall in love? Why didn't he remind me that we had met before? Is there something he doesn't want me to remember?

These questions plagued me, but I simply nodded to Hayley, gave her a tight hug, promising to meet up with her later, before returning to Char.

I need to focus on the task at hand. I have a bakery to go to.

•••
Hi!
6k views?! Thank you guys so much!

Okay, I just wanted to fangirl a little because I'm in a major Heathers and Heathers: the Musical hangover. Two days ago I watched the movie on Netflix, and yesterday I watched the Off-Broadway musical on Youtube.

OMG. I've been replaying the soundtrack over and over again. I even made a Heathers Pinterest board. I'm obsessed.

100% recommend as long as you are old enough to watch R rated movies or are at least 14+.
:)
Anyway, enjoy!

-ky