Confidence and a Little Sashaying

Char turned around and ran right out of the establishment.
                       What a great friend...

                      Callahan's jaw worked and he just about growled, "What the hell are you doing with this man, Rosalie?"

                       He snatched the wad of bills out of my hand, leafing through it. Cursing, he handed me back my money and crossed his arms over his broad chest. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

                         I was angry at him. I was angry that he thought killing an old man would pay a debt, and I was angry that he hadn't told me we'd met before. I was angry that he had pointed a gun at my father, and I was angry that he'd shot a man in the kneecap instead of just talking to him or punching him in the face like a regular person.

                             "I'm afraid I don't owe you any explanation." I smoothed back my hair and swiftly turned on my heel. Where had this bold confidence some from? I rather liked it...

                                His hand shot out, grabbing my arm in a painful grip. "Don't walk away from me-"

                                 "Don't touch me."
I wrenched out of his grip and walked over to Mr. Lelanski to make sure his heart hadn't stopped. I called in Salomea and handed her my money. Mr. Lelanski woke up and gave me a hug, before I hurried them out the door. I gave Leokatya a quick kiss on the cheek, and nabbed a kolaczki. Callahan stayed silent and melancholy at my sharp admonishment.

                                Taking a big bite, I briskly strutted out of the bakery and into the invigorating, nippy weather. Callahan somberly  trailed after me like a kicked, abnormally large, puppy.

                                 I repeated my mantra over and over in my head.

                               What would Elizabeth Bennet do... What would Elizabeth Bennet do...

                                 She wouldn't look back.

                                  So I didn't.