News

Even after sleeping past noon, I still felt exhausted. Charlotte had just left after changing my bandages, and I idly scratched my kitten behind the ears. A splitting headache pounded behind my own ears, and I sat back against the headboard. I groaned into my hands, tears creeping from the corners of my tired eyes. I wish my Ma were here.

Almost telepathically, the door quietly creaked open revealing Cal's Ma. The sweet, robust lady entered and slipped off her little pink pillbox cap.

"How are you, dear? That creep gave you quite a scare and a nasty bump, alright. Well, don't you worry because nothing like that'll happen again. No spooky men climbing in anyone's window anymore." She smiled at me sympathetically and carefully bundled me into her arms. I nestled into her embrace; the scratchy wool of her hip pantsuit not bothering me in the least.

"There, there. All you need is a mother's love, huh? Call me Ma."

It was my turn to grin. "Thank you so much... Ma."

She chuckled and hugged me closer, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. "You sweet girl. You don't deserve this. No one does. And that's why Cally-boy is going to fix it."

I gasped. "How?"

"I talked to him. We've paid our debts, and Cal doesn't like to kill. He's a darling boy, a charming boy head over heels for you since he first saw you in the library. He's awfully smart, and I think Notre Dame just might accept his return this coming year."