Stolen Breath

My heart was thumping erratically as I sidled down the stairs, and a giddy smile adorned my painted red lips. Charlotte had spent quite a long time choosing my outfit and fixing my hair, but I made sure she had enough time to prepare herself. She just couldn't contain her eagerness to dance with my brother! I know he feels the same way.

              Cal waited at the bottom of the staircase for me, and my breath caught in my throat at the sight of him. He wore a form-fitting suit, his red tie perfectly matching my dress. Char must have told him of my color choice! How perfect!

                 His dark waves were combed very nicely, but one curl escaped and hung over his forehead. My heart warmed at the sight of this darling boy sporting a sheepish grin. This is how it always should have been- normal dates, cute glances, et cetera. None of this mafia stuff and debt should have been shoved on him. He was too sweet.

                  Cal wrapped an arm around my waist as soon as he saw me whilst softly kissing my cheek. "Beautiful," he whispered huskily.

                  Charlotte had found her way to my brother, and I must say she looks amazing. Her golden hair hung in ringlets while a simple yet adorable cornflower blue dress clung to her frame.

                    ...

                     Cal held my hand in a protective grip when we entered the basement of the nearby church. Eyes turned our way immediately, and Char told me that Callahan had never taken a date to a dance before despite the many girls who hung on him.

                        After an awkward pause and several whistles, the music started again. Cal pulled me into a popular sock hop dance. Thank goodness Char had given me lessons! She was truly a saint.

                          I wasn't sure what all the dance rules were though, so I was as affronted as Cal later on when a cocky looking young man asked to "cut in".

                        Cal's jaw twitched in irritation as he relinquished me from his arms while the boy droned on matter-of-factly about the "cutting-in" rule of this specific dance. Cal groaned, and I was swept away.

                         The boy, whose name I learned was Jim, held me much too tightly and smelled very strongly of cologne. I couldn't breathe! Bored with his lengthy synopsis of the latest football game and alarmed at his frequent squeezing of my backside, my eyes wandered over to Cal as he sipped punch looking angry.

                             Cal mouthed "bathroom" and was on his way out of the room, the muscles in his jaw working and his hands clenched in fists at his sides.

                             I was brought back to the current slow dance as Jim morosely handed me over to my new partner. My body froze in horror as a boy I thought I'd never see again smirked and grabbed my hands, pulling me into a tight embrace.

•••

*her dance outfit shown in the picture*