Repercussions

Bridget's funeral took place three days later.

         Cal gave a heartbreaking eulogy, and I couldn't help but think of my own mother's funeral. Oh God, why do bad things happen to good people? To loving mothers and darling sisters?

           Several gangs in New York have been shut down. Because the police got to the scene before us, we had no cover. Cal seems too grief-stricken to care all that much. At least he can really be who he wants to be now.

             A man named Danny was arrested on account of murder. I remember him tugging on my braids in first grade as both of us played at Maeve and Niall's house.

               While we had all been at the dance, little Bridget had wandered out of the house with Mary and Nora. Though it was late at night, they had wanted to surprise Cal and me with some wildflowers. There was a celebration to be had.

                Two thick envelopes had arrived, each stating that we had been accepted to university in the coming fall. I for Saint Mary's College and Cal for University of Notre Dame. We would be within walking distance of each other.

                 I fondly remember writing out our applications one chilly evening. We had started talking about our futures, and I knew he missed Notre Dame. We thought we'd give it a try. Plus, my tutoring had pushed me ahead. I could attend college when he did.

                   Timing couldn't have been worse. I'm ecstatic to be accepted, and I know Cal is too. If only we weren't in a time of mourning.

                    I had mistakenly thought that Niall's "Thugs" were harmless, but now I know that nothing gang-involved is harmless. He was the decoy, the distraction at the dance. He caused a commotion. He knew he would be found and taken back to the institution, so he thought he had nothing left to lose. He sacrificed himself for revenge on Cal and a lock of my hair.

                    These next several months will be numb. The police are doing inspections, interrogations, and investigations. Sweeping for drugs, illegal weapons, and stolen property. The whole mafia culture is rocked, but maybe for the better. Killing will cease; people can relax.

                   Maybe Cal and I can have a chance to be a real couple.