Flour and Fainting

Char and I were currently making our way to the bakery. It hadn't taken much persuasion- Charlotte loves baked goods!

My stomach was in knots, and I wrung my hands in worry. I felt my heart rate speeding up; What if we're too late? What if Callahan has already killed them all?

Charlotte looked at me anxiously. "Sweetie, are you feeling okay? You look a little pale," She pressed a palm to my forehead, but I shrugged her off.

"Oh, Char, I'm fine. It's just I haven't been downtown in years! This is all so... overwhelming." That was true, but I was more nervous about Mr. Lelanski and his family. I bit my lip and tried to avoid fidgeting anymore.

Charlotte smiled and poked my cheek. "Well, a nice warm pastry ought to do you some good!"

I gave a weak grin in return, and we entered the bakery.

•••

Thank God in Heaven Above!

There was Mr. Lelanski, rolling out dough for his next batch of delicacies. "Oh Rosie! It's been too long! You're so- well you're still not that tall, but you're quite a beauty! Such a lovely girl. Let me get you your favorite cookie! And who's your friend?" The jolly, (thankfully alive), man hustled around the back kitchen, preparing a sweet treat for Char and me.

I beamed. "You're right. It's been far too long. This is my closest friend Charlotte, and speaking of friends, where's little Leokatya? I do miss her so."

Mr. Lelanski slapped his knee in laughter, scattering flour everywhere. "Little Leokatya? I do reckon she's a bit taller than you, dear Rosalie!"

I half-heartedly chuckled along with him, not missing the fact that he avoided Leokatya's whereabouts. My question was soon answered, however, when his not-so-little daughter burst in the room.

"Tata?" Leokatya eagerly asked her father, "When do Mama and I leave for the country? I'm awfully excited!"

Mr. Lelanski's cheerful smile dropped for a moment, before returning once again. Turning to us, he said, "Sally and Leo are going for a short stay, aren't you Leo?" He patted her head affectionately. "Now go back to Mama and get ready to go."

"But Tata! I thought you said we were staying in the country for a long time!" She whined.

                                             I gasped in understanding. Seeing my expression, Mr. Lelanski shooed Leokatya upstairs and looked at me warily.

                                              I took a deep breath. "Mr. Lelanski, I am aware of your situation with Callahan Romano. I came here today because I fear for you and your family, and now I see you do as well. I just wanted to give you this-" I reached into my purse for a wad of money I'd saved up over the years from birthdays and holidays.

                                               Mr. Lelanski's eyes lit up, but he shook his head fervently. "Oh, I cannot, I cannot. I made a bad decision and I must pay the consequences. I have enough money for my family to flee, but I am staying here. Mr. Romano will surely kill me, but I should have known better than to negotiate with a monster." He choked on tears and wiped his face, tracking stripes of flour across his weathered face.

                                               I shoved the money at Mr. Lelanski. "You must take it! I have no need of it. I insist! This is at least enough to hold off Mr. Romano. I'm sure you can pay him back in time. There's no need for bloodshed." He still looked hesitant, but I just couldn't stand the thought of Leokatya losing her father. And I could never look at Callahan the same if he killed this man.

                                                  "Please, take it. For Leokatya." I pleaded, tears streaking my own face. Charlotte looked on in astonishment.

                                                Then her eyes widened in fear at something behind me. Mr. Lelanski fainted. I turned around and whimpered,

                     "Cal..."

___________________________

Woot woot!!

8k views! Almost 300 votes! Man, I love you guys.
Also, thank you so much for the kind messages/comments I've received over the past few days.
They honestly motivate me to update much quicker and more often. ❤️

Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter, and if you did- let me know! I'd love to hear from you :)

-ky