Antics and Escape Plan

I hurried up the stairs, my heart thumping as I thought of the mystery man and the note. Snatching the note from between my books, I checked my back to make sure no one would catch me. Thankfully, Charlotte wouldn't be here to draw my bath for another twenty minutes.

            I flipped open the note, taking a stuttering breath as I scanned the paper. In masculine yet elegant script were the words, "Meet me at the park down the street at midnight. Come alone, sweetheart. Don't be late.
         C R"

              My heart stopped. C R... C R!
Callahan Romano! The dangerous man! He must be the tall figure I saw out my window. But why would he want to meet me? In secret?
I observed the broken lock on my window, wondering how he could have gotten at it through the bars (lattices). Then I gasped. The outermost bar was bent. It was unnoticeable from my room, but up close it was evident.

               I looked around for any other trace of the mafia leader, but I guess he did his sly job in a mostly pristine manner. I had just finished my search for more mysterious happenings outside my window when my door whirled open and Charlotte announced her presence.

               I jumped around and tried to act natural. "Hello, Charlotte! Time for my bath? Oh, wow, how time flies! Let's get on it!" I giggled nervously a little and sped into the bathroom.

               Charlotte looked at me a bit strangely but dismissed my antics as nerves from hearing of the gang. I finished my bath and dressed for bed, bidding Char leave. I combed my hair into a loose braid and laid in bed, waiting two hours and forty-five minutes till my time to go.

               Suddenly, the clock shown 11:45, and I began to make my escape.