Deflections and Reflections

My brothers questioned me continuously about my time with Callahan, but I deflected their inquiries, saying I was exhausted and needed a rest.

                  They instantly gave me space and rang Charlotte to help me to bed. It was only the afternoon, and I was not tired in the least, but I needed time to my self to reflect on Cal.

                   Once Char had me settled in bed, I let my thoughts wander to the enigmatic Callahan Romano. He was so... confusing.

                    One moment he's sweet as pie and talkative, and the next he's cold and brooding. I just could not understand him!

                   I snuggled deeper into my blankets and thought of his arms around me. So strong and warm. I hadn't felt safe since my mother passed away, and I'd always felt alone.

                  Now I had a handsome man who wanted to be with me, and I liked conversing with him, but I knew I had to be on my guard. He was dangerous and cold-blooded. Temperamental and powerful.

                   I shivered in fear as I recalled the countless stories of his killing sprees. Cal seemed so kind around me, but I must be wary.
I must be caref-

                    Bang!

                  I shot out of bed at the sound of a crash and voices being raised. Shoving on my slippers, I skittered down the hall and flew down the stairs. What I saw next made me scream in terror.

                   "Colin!" My beloved brother was shoved against the wall while an unfamiliar man was pummeling and strangling him. Similar scenarios involving my other brothers were also occurring.

                     Strangely, Callahan was nowhere to be found.

                       Suddenly an arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me close. "Men, stand down!" Cal ordered his men to retreat to the underground rooms where they would be staying.

                       A sob burst out of me at the sight of Colin's beaten face, and I slipped out of Cal's grip to run to him.

                      "Colin!"
                       "Calm down, Rosie, it's just a bruise. I'm okay. I'm okay, lovey."
                         I ran my hands over his cheeks and wrapped my arms around him. "Why did this happen?" I cried.

                         "One of the devil's men- Tony- said the most awful thing about you. Your brothers and I lost it. Conor punched him right in his leering face. He deserved it."

                          "Oh you boys know better! It was probably just a careless remark! Don't sacrifice your health for me!" I tearfully admonished Colin.

                           "Sacrifice? You're making the greatest sacrifice, Rosalie. Allowing that demon to even be near you- Say! Did he try to kiss you? Because if he did-"

                            Colin was cut off by the unmistakable blast of a gunshot.