Grinding Teeth and Bursts of Giggles

Thump. Thump. Thump.
My heart was pounding as I flounced down the stairs, but I was excited to see Mr. Romano. This is by far the most thrilling event I'd ever experienced!

He was the first thing I saw when I reached the first floor: dark suit, thick hair, clean shaven, and handsome. My breath caught in my throat, and I gave him a little smile.

Mr. Romano winked and tipped his head in greeting. My father looked between us worriedly and ushered me into the dining room for our brunch. I was seated at my father's right hand side, while Mr. Romano was at his left. My brothers filled the rest of the table, along with two of our bodyguards, Riley and Jim.

This was my first time at a gang meeting, but I think my father thought it was necessary for me to meet the people who'd be staying in our town.

Mr. Romano and my father droned on and on about mafia news and statistics that I had no idea about, but Mr. Romano kept giving me looks and tapping my foot under the table. Once when I tapped his ginormous foot back, he gave me such an amused glance that I burst into giggles. I quickly turned it into a cough, but Mr. Romano saw.

I wasn't giggling when my family's debt was brought up. My brothers were all grinding their teeth and sending Mr. Romano dark looks. I was staring at my feet, twiddling my thumbs. When Mr. Romano stated the deadline for the payment as next week, my brothers jumped up from the table. They didn't think it was possible.

"There must be some other way to pay you back, Mr. Romano. We just can't pay you the cash by next week. We'll give you anything else you want." My father pleaded, which is very unlike the harsh, stern man I knew.

"It isn't a coincidence that I've come to stay in town. There is something besides money you have that I want, and she is sitting right across from me-"

Instantly my brothers were shouting at Mr. Romano, swearing and threatening to kill him. Mr. Romano pulled out a gun and pointed it at my father. I squealed and grabbed my father's arm. "Da, it's okay. I'm available to court soon, yes? There's nothing wrong with starting a little early," I tried to sound brave but my voice was weak, cracking at the end. Tears rolled down my cheeks. My father could only shake his head wildly, "I can't lose you," he whispered, and my fearful whimpers increased.

Mr. Romano's face fell, and he immediately tucked the gun back into his waistband. Walking around the table with everyone silent, he wiped a tear from my face and leaned in towards my ear. "I'll take you to lunch tomorrow, sweet Rosalie." He pressed a chaste kiss to my forehead, and I didn't dare recoil, though I had no desire to. He hadn't shot my father. He'd seen my fear and respected it. That's more than expected from a monstrous mafia man.

Mr. Romano ran his rough hand down my wet cheek and abruptly spun on his heel, exiting with no flourish whatsoever.

My father instructed me to go straight to my studies while he fixed this mess, but I knew there was no way I could focus.