The Van Allen's vs Dream a Little Dream of Me

>DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME<

It was mid-afternoon and Sam had been missing for a couple of hours

It was mid-afternoon and Sam had been missing for a couple of hours. Dean, Karoline, and Alayna had all split up to find him. Dean was checking all the places he thought Sam would be, like libraries and Museums. While Karoline went to check all the closest restaurants. Alayna was checking more likely places... Bars. The city bar she entered was just as dingy as the rest, lit up by the afternoon sun shining in through some dirty windows. There was a handful of people scattered throughout the medium sized establishment. Sam was at the bar, nursing a glass of Whiskey. "There you are!" Alayna all but shouted as she walked up to him, a worried frown tugging at her lips. "What are you doing?"

He shrugged, "Having a drink." Sam turned to her and she could instantly see the resignation in his eyes.

Alayna slowly took a seat next to him, placing her hand over his, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing." Sam shrugged off her worry.

"It's two in the afternoon and you're drinking whiskey," Alayna deadpanned, gesturing to the glass. "Something's wrong."

"I drink whiskey all the time." Sam insisted, his voice slightly slurred.

Alayna paused in mock thought, raising a hand to her chin, "No, I don't think you do." She shook her head sarcastically.

Sam let out a short laugh, "What's the big deal? Dean gets sloppy in bars all the time. Why can't I?" Sam asked as he sat back in his seat with deep sigh.

"Because you're not Dean." Alayna said like it was obvious, frowning at his attitude. "What's wrong?"

Sam shook his head, looking back at his drink. He had the lost look in his eyes of someone who had been defeated one to many times. "I tried, Alayna." Sam spoke softly, not being able to bring his gaze up to meet her eyes. "To save Dean." He added at her confused look.

She smiled what she hoped was a reassuring smile, "Sam..." She tried but he just kept talking.

"I mean, where he's going... what he's gonna become," Sam finally voiced the thoughts they were all thinking, ones they didn't want to think about. Alayna let out a slow breath. "I can't stop it. I'm starting to think maybe even Ruby and Daryll can't stop it," Alayna frowned at the mention of the two of them. She didn't trust them as much as Sam did. "But really, the thing is, no one can save Dean."

"That's not true-" Alayna started to argue, but Sam cut her off.

"No, that's not what I mean. I mean, no one can save him, because he doesn't wanna be saved. I mean, how can he care so little about himself?"

"Sam, it's not like that," Alayna shook her head, groping for the right words. "He does care, he doesn't want to go to hell. He's just..." She trailed off with a deep sigh. "He's just trying to protect you."