Chapter Five

Later that night Ally wouldn’t sleep, begging for me to let her stay up, she was supposed to be sleep by 7:30 but it was running closer and closer to 8:30

“Ally, no you have to go to bed,”

“Nooooo! Ally stay!” She said stomping, the two year old wasn’t playing games tonight, I sighed and picked her up, she had tears in her eyes and was red in her pale face. My daughter looked nothing like me, light brown eyes and her skin tone was a soft caramel, her bangs were falling into her eyes and I was going to have to cut them soon.

“Alright, Allyson,” I say exasperated, I laid her on my hip, but is it OK if I just hold you?”

Ally looked at me, in my eyes actually, as if she could tell I was trying to play a trick on her.

“OK.” She says rubbing at her eyes, she yawned, I knew she was tried so I didn’t understand why she was wanting to stay up, she put her head on my shoulder and I kissed her forehead, sitting down on the sofa with her and putting on Princess and the Frog I was humming along to the music and rubbing her back, and sooner rather than later she fell asleep.

I moved slowly and as quietly as I could so she wouldn’t wake up, I moved towards the back of the apartment and took her to her room putting her in her crib, Ally sighed as I laid her inside and grabbed onto her teddy bear, cuddling it to her side. I smiled and wished I had a camera to take a picture of her. I quickly moved out of the room closing the door slightly behind me.

I was just about to lie back down on the sofa when there was a knock on my door, I stifled a groan but got up to get the door anyway, it was probably Lauren, because apparently she couldn’t wait until Monday to talk to me.

I pulled the door open almost begging it not to make a sound. But I made a shocked sound when I saw who it was at the door looking at me.

“Camila…” I said and let out a breath “What are you doing here,”

Instantly her neck turned a soft shade of pink and I remembered how much I loved when it happened.

“Well, um, see, you wouldn’t answer my calls and I really wanted to talk you. You left so quickly at the diner…”

I sighed and leaned against my door “You just looked really comfortable with your friends, and Harry. I was just ready to go.”

“See, I would just nod to that and say OK, but then you didn’t answer your phone when I called-”

“I turned my phone off for a few days.”

“A whole week? It seemed like you were avoiding me Normani and I just want to know why.” I could see the tears in her eyes and the way her voice was starting to waiver, I was hurting her and I had no idea. She grabbed my hand which had been wrapped around my mid-section “What did I do?”

I sighed; my reasoning for cutting her off now seemed foolish. “It’s just... you looked like… you and Harry, I just felt really dumb, it’s obvious how you feel about him. Like he was your boyfriend, it was like a punch in the stomach.” I felt stupid explaining this to her, so stupid.

She looked deep in my eyes and nodded “You have nothing to worry about, he’s my best friend and I’ll admit that, and we had something, a very long time together but, I swear it’s over now, and plus…” she said and slowly a smiled began to creep on her face “he asked out Dinah Jane a couple days ago.”

My eyebrows went up again “Really? Wow. That’s so great,” I said, I didn’t say that’s so great because now we can go back to what we were, because that felt like too much, “Do you want to come in? I would feel awful apologizing and keeping you out in the cold.”