Chapter 5

Catherine McMillan

-----------------------------

A few months have passed and I still have fever. It’s been two weeks already. I went to the doctor several times but he just gives me medicines to take. I got out of bed and opened the fridge to look for ingredients for breakfast.

“Geez. I need to do some shopping.”, I mumbled. I changed into decent attire and took my money. Thank God today is a Sunday and my break from work. I closed the door and locked it. The sun was shining brightly and at the same time it was hot. I opened my umbrella and started to walk my way to the supermarket. The people were friendly as always.

“Good morning Catherine!”, Mr. Grandpa greeted. I call him Mr. Grandpa because he just greeted me one day and I didn’t get to know his name. I only see him every time I pass here and he was okay with it.

“Good morning to you too Mr. Grandpa.”, I greeted back.

“Going shopping are we now?”, he asked.

“More like food shopping Mr. Grandpa.”, I replied. He laughed and said,

“You look like you’re having a hard time these days. Are you okay Catherine?”, he was concerned about me?

“I am perfectly well Mr. Grandpa. Don’t worry about me. I’m a strong girl.”, I assured him so he wouldn’t worry.

“Of course you are my dear. Now go on. Today’s Sunday and you know what that means.”, he smiled at me.

“Yes I do Mr. Grandpa. The supermarket will be swarmed with people. I’ll get going now. Have a good day Mr. Grandpa!”, I smiled at him as he waved goodbye. I continued to walk. I didn’t have enough cash for a bus ride since I just paid my apartment bills yesterday and paid my other bills the other day. I only have enough for groceries. I came across the watch shop. I went in to check but when I came near to where it was placed, it wasn’t there anymore. I asked the sales lady about the watch but she said some young boy bought it three months ago. What?! What did she just say? Did I hear it right? Someone already bought the watch I’ve been aiming for three months ago?! I almost have five hundred dollars and now, it’s not there anymore because someone had already bought it? What am I supposed to do with the money I saved up until now? Does this mean all of my efforts and sacrifices will just go to waste? Wait, I’m exaggerating right now. I shouldn’t over think of things. I exited the watch shop and ended up being disappointed. I reached the supermarket and took a grocery cart.

“Today sure is a nice day but my mood sure is foul.”. I went inside the market and took my grocery list out of my pocket.

“Let’s see.”. I went around, took some ingredients and I came across an umbrella. It was pink. It was just plain pink. Honestly, I have an addiction to umbrellas and I have a lot of designs for it. It goes the same with watches but I prefer umbrellas. Should I buy it? Well duh, of course I would. It would be an addition to my collection. I took it out of the basket full of umbrellas at went to the counter.

“Hey Catherine!”, Michael called out. I knew it was Michael. I could tell by his voice. I didn’t bother to look but he went to me anyway.

“What do you want now?”, I asked.

“Let’s go out today.”

“No thanks. I’m busy.”

“Busy with what?”

“Some things.”

“What things”

“Things I need to do at home.”

“What do you need to do at home?”

“Will you cut it out?”, I was starting to get irritated with the questions he was firing at me.