Chapter 35

CHRISTINE BROOKS

-----------------------------------

One, two, three, four months has already passed. Catherine was making progress with her health. She wasn't that skinny now but she was still skinny and she eats more lately. It's a good sign. Well as for me, I haven't made any progress in school.

"Ms. Brooks, please be serious. I need you to focus. How can you survive in this prestigious school with a failing mark like this? You're in Wilson High where students excel not fail.", my teacher said.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't focus lately.", I apologized. My teacher stood up and arranged the papers scattered on her table. Probably those papers were mine.

"Well you have to or else you can't continue here at Wilson High. I'm sorry.", my teacher said.

"I will.", I replied as I turned away and exited the faculty room. I looked at my watch and it was still 12:15. I still have a bit of time to eat. I rushed to the cafeteria and ordered a burger and cola. I told the cafeteria lady to place the food in a paper bag since I didn't plan to eat there. She growled and I awkwardly smiled. Geez. Talk about being grumpy. I took my order and exited the cafeteria. As usual, Michael was at the popular table with his friends and the cheerleaders. I sighed and walked away. While I was walking, I spotted a bench below the insanely huge oak tree and I decided to eat my lunch there. I sat down as the warm breeze touched me. It made relaxed for a bit then I started to eat. I really need to focus. I'll go home right away today and study. The finals is fast approaching and I need to focus. I took a big bite and I choked. I hurriedly grabbed the can of cola and drank.

"Eat slowly.", I heard someone say. I pulled my mouth away from the lid of the can and looked at him.

"I swear you were just at the cafeteria.", I told him.

"Well I saw you hurriedly exit the cafeteria and so I followed you out of curiosity.", Mark replied.

"Oh. I thought you needed something from me.", I told him. An awkward silence followed. I continued to eat and Mark just sat there. I didn't know what to say so I continued eating until I was done.

"How was it?", he asked.

"How was what?", I asked back.

"The food?", he asked.

"Oh! The food. Right. It was good since I love burgers.", I replied.

"You like them?", he asked.

"Yeah? I do.", I replied.

"I see. I know how to make burgers.", he said. I was amazed.

"Really? You do?", I asked. I was like a stupid dog wiggling its tail.

"Of course. Anyone would know to make one.", he said.

"But I don't know how.", I replied.

"Want me to teach you how?", he asked. He'll teach me how to make burgers! But wait, I can't. I frowned and I bet he noticed.

"You don't want?", he asked.

"I would love to but I need to focus for the finals. If I fail, I won't be able to study here anymore.", I replied. I saw that c

worried look on his face and I smiled.

"It's okay. I failed in Geo and Math. I am going straight home today so I can study.", I said.

"I can help you study if you want.", he said.

"You can give me your brain though. With it, I won't need to study.", I joked and he laughed.