Chapter 7

Catherine McMillan

--------------------------------

 We arrived at some deserted place from nowhere. The rain was getting lighter. The clouds were still gray and the air was cold. I was alone with Dylan.

 “Dylan, where the hell are we?”, I asked.

 “I don’t even know myself. I had to take you somewhere fun.”, he replied. Is this place fun for him? Confirmed, he really is a geek.

 “You consider this fun?”, I asked.

 “Why? Are you scared? I heard rumors that this place is haunted.”, he looked at me seriously.

 “Shut up Dylan. I’m not afraid of ghosts.”, I replied.

 “I can tell. Let’s go out. The rain has stopped already.”, he went out of the car. Thank God the rain stopped. I went out of the car and looked for Dylan. He wasn’t anywhere to be found.

 “Dylan?”, I called out.

“I’m over here Catherine.”, he waved. He walked that far already? I followed him and when I reached him, I saw him watching the rocks that were beside a pond. It was nice. Though it was just plain old huge rocks and a pond, it looked somewhat nostalgic and I didn’t know why.

“I used to come here when I was in junior high.”, he said. Wait, I thought he didn’t know where this place was and now he’s telling me that he’s been here? What a confusion.

 “My parents expect a lot from me. That’ why I’ve been studying non-stop until now.”, Dylan continued.

 "What are your parents like?”, I asked. I hope it wasn’t too personal. 

“You see, my parents own the school.”, he said. Wait, hold it right there. Your  parents own the school? Then that means, your family’s the one paying for my tuition? How embarrassing could this get? 

“That’s...shocking.”, I replied.

 “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before. I didn’t want to be treated as some popular kid and rich kid. I just wanted to be like a normal kid. But unfortunately, girls flirt around me and I feel disgusted with them. People treat me like I’m royalty or something. I didn’t want any of that affection. I just wanted to have a normal life with normal friends and with no great expectations. Just a casual kid who goes to school everyday.”, he opened up. I didn’t know he wanted a life like that. He must be stressed because his parents expect greatly from him.

 “Good for you that you still have parents.”, I said and he looked at me.

 “They didn’t die, for your information. Actually, I ran away from home. They didn’t expect from me or anything. They treated me like I was nobody. I’ve had enough so I ran away from home. I tried to live independently. At first I had a hard time coping up with the bills so I sold my iPhone to lessen my bills. Then Jacob lent me his phone, though it’s a cheap kind but at least I can text and call. But once I found that job, I can already pay for all my bills on time. But,”, I paused.

 “But?”, he said.

 “I was saving up for this watch for how many months now. But just recently, I went back to that watch shop and saw that the watch  wasn’t there anymore. It’s like my whole world went crashing down. I really liked that watch and I worked so hard for it. But in a flash it wasn’t there anymore. I always prayed that nobody would buy it. But hey, past is past. I’m sure there are a lot of good watches out there.”, I said. Wow, why am I suddenly opening up to a person I just met three months ago? Though we do share a lot of memories with Stacy but I guess this is okay.