Chapter 9

Michael Collins

--------------------------------

A week has passed and it was a quick one. We were all so busy since the exams were coming up. There were remedial classes after school for an hour and I had to take one in math because I sucked at it. I sat on my desk as I waited for the teacher to come in. It was already four thirty and classes were about to end. Tomorrow was a Sunday and I thought about having a group study with Catherine since she was awesome in every subject and we needed to continue on our project. She’s been coming to my house every day since last week and my parents are eager to meet her since they are still in Russia and are coming back tomorrow. It was a good opportunity to introduce them to her. Steve and Mark came in and sat with me.

“Dude. Tell us what happened.”

“About what?”, I asked.

“About your plan on Catherine. We kept asking you the whole week and within the whole week, we noticed you kept your eyes on her and kept on blabbering about how smart and awesome she is. You never told us the story.”, Mark replied.

“Okay dude. Shut up already. You’re hurting my ears. So here’s what happened. Two hours after we were discussing about the project, I laid her on the couch and I was on top of her. She struggled at first but then she stopped.”, I said.

“Why did she stop? That’s weird. Why did she even struggle? If it was a different girl, she’ll be like, ‘let’s do it babe. Give it to me.’ and then you’ll both be satisfied in the end. But why? What’s with the struggling and stuff?”, Steven asked.

“Okay first of all, Steven, stop the girl accent. You sound like a bitch.”, I said and he rolled his eyes.

“So, she stopped struggling because she said I was just staring at her for a long time. I didn’t do anything to her. She later slapped me in the face and told me I was a freak and she ran away. Then I saw her umbrella and planned to return it to her. When I went outside, she wasn’t there anymore so I looked for her. Then we met at the bus waiting shed near our school and I apologized for what I did. I couldn’t bring myself to do it to her. Something was stopping me from doing it.”, I said. Mark and Steven were shocked. Were they shocked because I didn’t do it? Or was it because of something else?

“Dude. I can’t believe it. The mighty bastard Michael Collins looked for Catherine just to return an umbrella and apologized for what he did! This is an addition to history!”, Mark said to Steven.

“He didn’t even do something to Catherine! Now that’s unusual!”, Steven added.

“Shut up guys.”, I said.

“This already happened before Michael back at our old school in junior high. Could it be that you’re actually starting to like Catherine McMillan?”, Mark asked.

“No way dude!”, I quickly answered.

“That’s what you always say dude.”, Mark said.

“Whatever.”, I said as I placed my arms on the table and laid my head on top of it. Me? Falling for Catherine? No way! She’s not on my hot girls list. Later, class was finally over and it was five forty five. I went to my locker and placed my things inside. I still had football practice so I went to the boys room. While walking, I passed by the oak tree and saw Catherine writing something.

“Catherine!”, I called out and raised my left arm so she would notice me. She lifted her head up and she smiled as she waved at me. I approached her and said,

“Aren’t you supposed to be home by now?”, I asked.

“Yeah I should be but I needed to finish this first then I’ll go home.”, she said.