Chapter 16

DYLAN WILSON

----------------------------

From the school park to the gym. From the school buildings to the football field. I couldn't find Catherine. Though I'm scared, I needed to do what I had to do as her friend. I need to be there for her when she's feeling down and alone. I just couldn't leave her alone. I need to conquer the fear I'm feeling right now. I sat on a wooden bench and took a deep breath. I turned my head from left to right just hoping I could find her. Just then, I remembered something. There is still one place J haven't searches yet! I stood up and ran as fast as I could. Corners, I turned them. Hallways, I ran through them. The teachers can't really stop me from violating rules since I'm the son of the owner of the school. Though I don't violate school rules, today is an exception. I ran and panted, ran and panted. I finally arrived. I looked forward and saw a crying girl curling herself under the huge oak tree. I slowly approached her. I stopped on my feet when she raised her head. She must've sensed someone was there with her. She looked at me with those sad eyes. She even got more teary eyed when she said,

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do what I did back there. I bet you're scared to come near me.". A wave of guilt hit me. Why did I feel fear? Why did I think that I was scared of Catherine? I'm such a pathetic loser. I shouldn't have been afraid of her. I couldn't help but feel so guilty. I didn't know how to handle situations like this. My mind was blank. I just stared at her back - shaking and trembling. I felt so sorry for her and yet so guilty for what I have did. The wind lightly blew right through us. The grass rustled and the birds chirped. The sun was shining and it was such a happy day yet the people around me are sad and scared. Then I thought of something that I hoped it would work. I hugged her from behind. Slowly, I hugged her tightly. She cried a bit harder this time.

"Cry it all out.", I whispered and she did. I felt her trembling body and her shoulders that shook lightly. Minutes have passed and she was a bit calmer now.

"Are you okay now?", I whispered and she nodded.

"Listen, I'm sorry. Honestly, I was really shocked. It made me fear you. I was seeing the other side of you. I didn't know what to do. Even I was shaking. I'm really sorry. I failed to be your friend. I felt so guilty after seeing you cry and tremble like this. Michael and Stacy feel the same. We're sorry Catherine. We didn't mean to be scared. We were just so shocked.", I explained. I felt two hands lightly gripped my wrist. I was still hugging her from behind so I didn't quite see her face. I rested my head on her right shoulder so I could see her face. I saw that she was smiling a bit. This made me smile too.

"But you still came, right?", she asked.

"Yeah, I did.", I replied in a whisper. She held my wrists a bit tighter this time.

"Thanks Dylan. I knew that you would be there for me.", she said.

"Of course. You're my friend. I'd do anything for you Catherine.", I replied. She turned around and I loosened my hug. I placed both of my hands on each side of her shoulders and we both looked in to each other's eyes.

"Catherine, I may not be the perfect friend, you may not be the perfect friend. Nobody's perfect yet, It is you that makes our relationship perfect. I couldn't ask for a better friend than you. You understand?", I reassured her. I could see a faint shade of pink on her cheeks.

"Yes. Thanks so much Dylan.", she replied. She hugged me and I hugged her back.

"It's what friends do, right?", I asked and she nodded. I pulled away and looked at her.

"Now, show me a smile.", I told her. She looked away. I think she wasn't ready. But I won't accept that as a reason. I'll make her smile. I leaned in closer to her and our lips met. She froze at first but she kissed me back. Every time I kiss her, I just feel so happy. I hope she does too.