Chapter 38

CATHERINE MCMILLAN

--------------------------------------

"Slowly. Slowly. Just relax and walk slowly. There you go."

"Good job Catherine!", Dylan exclaimed. I was really happy that after five months, I can walk a bit already. The doctor said I was progressing really fast and one sign was I could already walk. Dylan carried me to my wheel chair and the doctor was scribbling something on his memo pad.

"Alright. Now, about the baby. The baby is healthy and happy. According to the laboratory results, the baby will be fine for now if you don't do anything stupid.", he said. I awkwardly laughed. Actually, here's what happened. I was sleeping two weeks ago and I was dreaming about flying through the sky. Until I lost my powers and fell. I realized when I woke up, I was already on the cold floor and I heard Dylan rushing to me. I can really be stupid sometimes.

"Dylan, please watch over her carefully next time. The nurse and I aren't always there since I do have a lot of patients.", the doctor said.

"I will.", Dylan replied.

"Well then. That's settled. You will have another laboratory exam by next month. So until then, please behave.", the doctor said.

"I will!", I happily replied. The doctor sighed and smiled at me as he exited the room together with the nurse. Dylan and I were left alone.

"How are you doing?", Dylan asked.

"I'm doing fine Dylan. Don't worry.", I assured him. I slowly stood up and Dylan held my right arm to support me. I made my way to my bed and there I lay. Dylan covered me with my blanket and he sat beside me.

"Are you hungry?", he asked. I shook my head in response.

"Okay. I'll take a bath and if you need me, ring the bell.", he said.

"But I always need you.", I pouted. He chuckled and kissed me on my cheek.

"I need you too. How about this? If you need anything, just ring the bell. Sounds okay?", he asked and I nodded. He stood up and went inside the bathroom. I closed my eyes and thought about myself. I wonder what will happen to me in the future? Will I really die? If I had the baby, will I also live. I sighed at the fact that I only had a slim chance of surviving. Well, if I had to choose, I would rather let the baby live. With that state of mind, I sat up and turned my head to look out the window. It was a summer day and I bet everyone are enjoying themselves at the beach. I haven't been to one in awhile because if I wasn't sick, I would only focus on my studies and work. Dylan came out of the shower with clothes on already. I bet he was traumatized during the bag incident and he was only on his towel. I mentally laughed at the funny memory. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Dylan opened the door and I saw my mom and dad came in.

"Is this a bad time?", my dad asked.

"No, not at all.", Dylan replied.

"Catherine, let's have a little chat.", my mom said as Dylan and my dad exited the room. The door closed shut as my mom and I were the only ones left inside the silent room.

"What would you like to talk about?", I asked.

"It's about the baby.", my mom replied.

"What about it?", I asked.

"Your dad and I were thinking that the baby would take over the family business. In order to do that, you and the baby would have to live with us."

"What about Dylan?", I asked.

"He won't be coming with us. If he does, our family will purchase their company making them bankrupt resulting to poverty among their kind.", my mom replied. I felt really shocked and angry.

"Dylan gas nothing to do with this!", I exclaimed in anger.

"He does. He's the son of the Wilson family. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson already agreed to our request."

"Why are you doing this?", I asked in pain.

"It's for the best; for the future of the baby and the company.", my mom replied.

"And here I thought that all of you were supporting us. You're always thinking about the family business! You never took the chance to know how Dylan feels or how I feel.", I said.

"Listen to me when I say. When the baby is born, both of you will bid farewell and we will move to Germany.", my mom demanded.

"I thought you were nicer but I guess you never changed. So what about before? Was it just all an act to pretend being happy? I honestly don't understand you! All you do is ruin my life! I wish I'll die!", I screamed. My mom's hand made contact with my cheek causing a huge red mark to spread acrosd my cheek. I began to cry.

"Choose. A wonderful future for your baby? Or A future with that boy and the baby with no family support from both sides. Because if his family supports, then our family will buy their company. Choose, my dear Catherine.", my mom said. She leaned in close to me and whispered,

"This is for running away. If you've just been a good girl and agreed to the wedding proposal, none of this would've happened." I continued to cry as my mom left the room as if nothing happened between us. I don't understand. This doesn't make any sense. Is this some kind of revenge?! Back then, before I ran away, I was introduced to the son of a prestigious company that if I married the son, then my dad would become the CEO and our family business would thrive even more than it is now. But I refused and ran away. My parents only thought about their work until the end. They are heartless. I cried and Dylan approached my worriedly.

"What's wrong?", he asked as he embraced me in his arms.

"Oh nothing. My pet hamster just died. I had him when I was still small.", I replied. I'm sorry Dylan. But I don't want you to worry much more about me. I'm really sorry.

------------------------------

Hey guys. Sorry for the very very short chapter :'( I'm gonna emphasize more on this in the next chapters to come. This chapter is like some kind of "revelation" part.

Anyway, please do support this story by hitting that SHARE button and also PLEASE do COMMENT :) Thanks a bunch!

Check out Chapters 30-37 in case you haven't read them yet ;)

-SophiaMission :*