Chapter 28

DYLAN WILSON

------------------------------

I sat on the bench outside Catherine's room when the door to my left suddenly opened and I saw Catherine crying. I stood up in surprise and she turned and saw me.

"Dylan!", she said my name as she approached and hugged me and I hugged her back.

"Catherine? What's wrong?", I asked but I didn't get an answer. Catherine just kept crying. Then I saw Jacob and Catherine's parents come out of the room. All of them looked at me in surprise and wonder. I pulled away from Catherine and Catherine turned to look at them with angry eyes.

"Who are you?", Catherine's father asked.*

"He's my friend.", Catherine replied in my place.

"I wasn't asking you! I was asking the guy behind you.", her father replied as he pointed a finger on me. I composed myself and with a trembling voice, I replied to her father.

"I'm Dylan Wilson, sir. I'm the best friend of your daughter."

"Best friend? You looked like a couple! Do not lie to me young man.", her father.

"But it is true, Mr. McMillan. Dylan is Catherine's bestfriend.", Jacob defended my statement. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson went silent for a brief moment then Catherine spoke up.

"Don't interfere with my life! Yes, you may be my parents but you don't control my life. You don't have the right to control me!". Catherine's words startled her parents. Jacob and I looked at Catherine in shock.

"My, my. You sure changed Catherine. Even in the way you speak, you have chosen your words well.", her father said. Catherine usually talks like that. What did he mean by even in Catherine's choice of words? That's only makes sense that I still don't know everything about Catherine. That's why, I want to know her more and be more closer to her.

"Oh, so you want me to go back to the way I was?! That's fucking insane! I've sacrificed a lot just to be who I am today. I've been through a lot of hurt, happiness, and realizations just to change myself. I ran away, not because of your stupid blabbering but because I wanted to change myself. And if I did change, I'd slap it in your faces and tell you that even without you guys, I can survive on my own. Thay without your stupid rules, I wouldn't turn in to a bad person. If there's one thing you did not give me, that is trust.", Catherine explained herself. Catherine faced me and leaned herself against me. I hugged her and she cried.

"Take her inside.", her father demanded and so I did. Catherine and I went in the room while Jacob and Catherine's parents remained outside. I closed the door and helped Catherine lay on her bed. She was laying on her bed now and I sat on the chair beside her bed.

"Thanks for earlier Dylan.", Catherine said.

"I didn't even do anything.", I replied.

"You did.", Catherine said.

"Okay. Just know that I'll always be here for you Catherine. Whenever you say or call my name, I'll be there.", I replied. Catherine chuckled.

"But you're no super hero.", she said. I placed my hand above her head and went close to her.

"I may be no super hero, but I'll try to be one just for you.". Catherine smiled and cupped my right cheek. I kissed her forehead and pulled away.

"You rest for now. Don't worry, I won't leave you.", I assured her. Catherine nodded and closed her eyes. Minutes later, she fell asleep.

-----------------------------------

MRS. MCMILLAN

-----------------------------------