Chapter One -Someone strange-

Fawn's P.O.V.

(Little bit of an older picture, but thought it would give you all an idea of what she looks like)
*****************
I skipped happily down my little path I travel every day to gather food for my Father and I. I live in the woods with my Dad. He's the only family member I got, since my Mother... I don't really know what had happened to her. I never really met her, I don't even know if she's alive or not. My Father never met her, and I know what you're thinking. How can I have parents that never met, well let me tell ya. I was all one big science experiment. They wanted to see if it was possible to mix a human with another animal, so they took...... Um? A little something from my Dad and injected it into my Mother. So technically they didn't have sex, nor met. I was the after results, when I was born, they studied me.

They never expected me to make it to the one year old mark, but I did. I acted just like any other human child. Except for the fact that I have deer ears and a tail, with very few white dots scattered on my cheeks just below my eyes like freckles. They kept testing on me, and then when I was about three years old, they allowed me to meet my Dad. They put me into a big room, I remember looking up and seeing a huge buck. He gave me a few sniffs, I would assume, he just knew I was his. He loved me instantly and protected me. After those people in white put me in that room, they could never get me back out since if they tried, my Dad would pretty much charge at them. He wouldn't allow anyone to come near me.

He would make sure I ate and was well taken care of. By the time I was about six, we escaped. He could never speak, of course since he was an animal. But since I'm part of him, I always knew what he wanted. He could just look at me and I would know. It was some type of weird connection we would get. He wanted me to climb onto his back and hold on tight, and that's what I did. He made a mad dash out the door when it was opened by the feeder and out to our freedom. We had found a den and stayed there ever since. I am now seventeen; it has been about eleven years since our escape.

I stashed different types of berries away into my pocket. I was able to find these clothes thrown out into the trash. It was a brown hoodie and jean shorts. Had some holes in them but wearable. Also, some humans came camping around this area one time and when they went to bed they left some shoes out. I can't believe they had just left them! I was just lucky that one of their children wears the same shoe size as me apparently. They must have changed their minds cause the next day they were like turning their camp site upside down, looking for something.
I was about half way home until-

SNAP

I froze, my ears shooting up. They moved to try to locate where that sound had come from. I sniffed the air a few time to get a sense of what was happening. There was a strange smell. I couldn't lie, I kinda liked it. But a new smell is not safe, it most of the time can mean danger. I ran, hoping into some nearby bushes to hide. I kept quiet, laying my ears down flat in hopes that they wouldn't stick out above the bush and give away my hiding spot. The sound of leaves crunching got closer and the smell got a little stronger. Until finally, it came into view. It was a human, he had long-ish, black hair, and he was tall and slender. He seemed to be about seventeen or eighteen years old. I watched him from my hiding spot in curiosity. He seemed troubled, upset.

He carefully plopped down onto an old tree that had fallen down a few months ago during a storm; he hid his face into his hands. His shoulders began to tremble a bit. Was he... crying? I had begun to feel bad for him, what was causing him so much pain? I wanted to help him, to make him feel better. But I couldn't just run out there, I don't know if he's gonna hurt me or not. Plus my Dad doesn't want me around humans. I reached into my pocket to pull out a blue berry. Maybe food will help make him feel better? I tossed it to him, accidentally hitting him in the stomach with it. He flinched back, looking down to see what had hit him. He picked up the berry, looking over it carefully before looking around the area. He must have seen the weird coloring behind the bush, by that I mean seeing a brown hoodie behind a bright green plant. "H-hello?" He called, standing up.

Oh no.. I ducked down a little, hoping he wouldn't see me.

"Whose there?" He asked, coming a little closer to my spot. I remained silent; I shouldn't be talking to him!

"Please come out. I know you're there." The boy said. I don't think I have a choice now, he already sees me, I know he does. I hesitantly poke my head out, his expression changes from curiosity to pure shock. I stand completely up, feeling his gaze on me, my ears lay back in fear.

After a moment, he finds his voice. "W-who are you?" He takes a step forward but only for me to take a step back. He sees my reaction and stays still. "It's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you. What's your name?" He asks again in the softest voice he could manage.

I swallowed hard. "F-Fawn."

"What are you?" He tilts his head.

"Don't you think you should tell me who you are first before I answer that question?" I tried to sound demanding but instead came out a little fearful.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I'm Eli." He answered quickly. "Now may I ask what you are?"

I sighed. "I'm crossed between a human and a deer."

"How?" He asked, sounding intrigued.

"Um, long story." I shook my head. I could have probably told him but I just met him! I couldn't let my guard down so easily. "W- Why were you crying?"

He waved it off, looking down. "Same, long story." It seemed that he didn't like me asking that question. It must have been something really personal.

I nodded; he hesitantly took a step forward, causing me to fidget a little in my spot. His eyes were staring up, a little above my head. I bet he was eyeing my ears..

"C-Can I feel them?" He raised his hand a little, causing me to get a little anxious.

"Uh.. S-Sure.." I mumbled. He moved his hand closer, making me flinch slightly. I could barely make out him mumbling quietly "It's okay." I stuck my ears back up, feeling his fingers gently, graze over them. Warmth radiating off of them, he rubbed my left ear, making me lean into his hand a little. It felt good, but I shouldn't give in or trust him too much. I shook it off and pulled my head up right, pretending I didn't do that. He lightly laughed.

"It's cool, I like them." He pulled his hand away. I looked back at the darkening sky above.

"It's getting late; my Father will start to worry. I need to go."

"When can I see you again? I would like to be friends." He said the last part a little quietly.

I paused, and then smiled. "Tomorrow, when the sun is in the center of the sky." I pointed up.

He looked side to side, like he was completely lost. "You mean at noon?"

I shrugged. "Well if that's what it is to you then sure."

"I got school tomorrow; I can't come at that time. But I can come at three." He suggested.

I nodded. "That's okay, I'll see you then!" I waved.

He smiled. "See you." We left from each other, going our separate ways.

It was about dark by the time I got back home. Right when I walked in, a huge buck ran up to me, sniffing me up and down.

I exhaled. "Hey, Dad.."

He got behind me, nudging me more into the den. I knew I can't leave any more tonight, he's gonna make sure I stay put. I got to the back wall and took a seat onto the floor. He got a whiff of my head, then huffed. He must have picked up Eli's sent. He doesn't like it when I'm around people, he doesn't want me to get hurt so he's overprotective of me. Whoever gets near me, he'll lower his head and run at them. Well, I've never been around people when he did this, it was normally other animals. He got behind me and laid down. I laid back as well, resting my head onto his side, using him like a warm pillow. The moon's light was just beginning to shine in, illuminating part of the den. I could hear the crickets chirping and some frogs croaking. I closed my eyes, falling asleep.