Chapter Eighteen ~Are You In?~

Alice joined us on the way back home, so she didn't have to take the bus. Cause apparently Eli says how much of a problem it is. I don't know. She let me ride up front where I would normally sit, while she sat in the back.

She talked to Eli during the whole ride, something about some girl likes some guy she doesn't like. Says he's a jerk. Of course I wasn't really involved in the conversation. Didn't know completely what was happening.

We got back home, I walked in last.

"So! What did you want to show me?" Alice glanced around the room then looked back to Eli.

He looked up to me without a word, Alice followed his eyes. Nervousness took over at this moment. What will she say? Will she not be my friend anymore? Will she tell everyone?

"Fawn, do you trust her?" Eli asked, walking towards me. My eyes went back to her, she stayed quiet, waiting for my response.

I nodded. "Yes." I replied quietly, bowing my head. I brought it back up. "Do you promise you won't freak out?"

"Well this isn't concerning." She laughed. "I promise I won't freak."

"Can you bring me a wet wipe?" I asked Eli, he ran down to the other room to get one.

"What is this about?" Alice asked, taking a step forward.

"It's about something I'm born with.." I bowed my head.

"Well," she shrugged her shoulders, a friendly smile became present over her face. "Something your born with, a disability, or whichever is no problem and nothing to be worried about."

"It's actually much less what I'm born with, it's more of what I am.." I fiddled my fingers.

Her smile slowly fell, then Eli ran back into the room, handing me a wet wipe.

I hesitantly wiped under my eyes, clearing it of all make up and letting my white spots be known.

"S-so, just a type of skin disease then..?" She asked.

"No." I shook my head. I handed the wipe back to him. I brought my shaking hands up to my hat. Gripping tightly onto the fabric. I was scared of what she thought, I finally had a girl friend. I never had one before..

I slowly pulled it the rest of the way off, Alice face held confusion. Until she saw my ears, then her eyes went wide.

I held the hat down, looking up to her nervously. My ears laid back shyly.

"Wh-wh... I- I don't understand.."

"I know, it's shocking at first." Eli stepped up to her, trying to keep her calm. "But she's still the same. She's still the same girl from school, just... Having those ears and a tail.."

Alice laid a hand onto his chest and pushed him aside, walking past him and up to me. "You have a tail too?"

I nervously smiled, pulling up the back of my hoodie just enough for her to see.
She smiled.

"It makes you look so cute!" She about squeals, making my ears twitch hard to the level of her voice and my face scrunch up. Her hand travels up to my ear but stops half way, looking to me as if she's asking permission.

I smiled and rolled my eyes, I tilted my head down. "Go for it."
She smiled and ran her fingers over my ears.

It's always the first thing people want to go for, her not being the first.

"So what are you? Not trying to be rude!"

"I'm crossed between a deer and human." I answered her. "Y-your not gonna tell anyone are you?"

She looked back to me, like she didn't know what to say. Eli came back up again. "It's really important for you not to tell anyone. It could turn into bad news for her, being no one would leave her alone. And since she's different, the government may even get involved."  We paused, letting it all sink in. "Are you in?" Eli finally asked. 

Alice's eyes kept going back and forth between us while she processed this. Then she smiled. "Of course!" 

A smile creeped onto my face, I was happy I was able to still keep her as a friend. I was really worried that she would get too freaked out and would leave me and tell everyone. 

She took a hold of Eli's hand in one of her's and mine in her other. "You are both my friends, I'll stick with you guys through this."