Chapter Twenty ~I Have To Go~

"Carter and his boys did it? Doesn't surprise me.." Alice rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, by the time I got there, Travis had her hat. Some had their phones out, I'm sure they were taking pictures. We have to keep her away now. She can't go back there again."

I sat on the couch with the hat next to me. I quickly snapped my attention to Eli.
"Then what am I suppose to do?"

"Stay here, where you're safe." He turned to me. "If you go back, they won't leave you alone. I can try to teach you anything you want to know."

"No, if I can't go back then why don't Mom come here and home school me?"

Alice and Eli exchanged glances. "I-I guess I can try to talk to her about coming over after school or on weekends, whenever she has a chance. Actually," He turned to Alice. "How about you go ask her, I can try to stay home to keep an eye on Fawn."

I got up. "No Eli, you're not dropping out of school for me. Don't make me the thing that's holding you back. You go to work and school, go on with your life."

"Guys, do you think we should just let Fawn go? Go back to the Forrest?" Alice asked, glancing at each of us.

"What? No, why-"

"Because if she's getting around like you said then couldn't they just track you and find the house? The Forrest here is huge and she has a big space to run. They'll have a harder time finding her there. Or she could travel to the other side of the Forrest and she'll be safe from them." Alice explained, cutting Eli off. He slowly looked back to me.

"Does that sound like something you would want to do?"

Is he really asking me this? I can go home but will I be able to handle myself out there? I think I could, normally I just felt safe with Dad there but he's not anymore. Where would I go? Will I be able to find a new den I could live the rest of my life in? Will I be able to find others? Before I just had Dad and now if I go back I would be lonely. Moving to the other Forrest side, it would be a long journey and I may or may not see Eli and Alice again.

"I-I guess that's the only thing we can do.." I rubbed my arm.

Eli almost gave me a look full of sorrow. He sighed. "We will head off first thing tomorrow, it's too late now. The ride would be about an hour or more." He turned to face Alice. "Are you coming along?"

"School is tomorrow," She shook her head. "I can't, my parents will find out and they will kill me. They would be asking where I was at." She came up to me, taking my hands in hers. "But I'll be here to see you off." She smiled reassuringly. I did what I could to manage a small smile, I was honestly upset I would have to leave Eli, I felt this weird connection between me and him, I don't understand it though.

And I loved Alice as a best friend, she's really fun and silly, It's just hard to believe I have to leave all of this. I finally had friends, was getting an education, and finally was able to find my birth Mother that I haven't seen in years. I have to go back to my old life, with no body. Hopefully I can get back into the habit of surviving outside.

"Eli, don't you have work today?" I looked from Alice to him.

"Uh.." He ran his fingers through his shaggy hair, ruffling it up.

"Eli, if you do then go to work." I told him.

"But what if they show up while I'm gone?"

"I'll watch her, she's safe with me. I'll keep an extra look out for any suspicious characters or vehicles." Alice looped her arm with mine.

"Are you sure? You don't need to get back home or anything?"

"Nah, chores I can do later and I have my bag with me. I can do home work here. Heck, I could try to teach Fawn what were learning in class today."

"Go ahead, I'll be fine." I urged, nodding.

He exhaled. "Fine, but if ANYTHING happens, call me. I'll have my phone on me." He went around to grab some stuff. "I'll leave as soon as I can to get back, and Alice, if anything comes up and you have to leave, let me know and I'll be here less than five minuets."

"Okay! I will!" She groaned. "I'll take good care of her." She hugs me close, petting my head.

Eli gave us one last look, then shuts the door, leaving.