Sherlock

"Where have you been?" I asked as Allison walked through the door into 221c. I was standing just inside the doorway.

"Bloody-!" she exclaimed, nearly dropping her latte in her fright. "Sher! You scared the crap outta me!"

"Apologies." I said, not really sorry. "Again, I ask, where have you been?"

"The Diogenes Club."

"You were seeing Mycroft." this was not a question, it was more of a plain statement.

"Yep." she said, popping the 'p'.

"Did you take the money?"

"Yes, of course! I'd be stupid not to!"
"John didn't."

"Sorry, but I'm not John."

"So I've noticed."

She brushed past me, continuing to sip her latte. She sat down on her sofa after flinging her parka onto the coffee table, and propped her feet up on it next to the coat. I stood, looking at her.

"What?" she demanded.

"Nothing."

"Would you rather it have been that I didn't take the money?"

I didn't say anything, but walked out the flat, my coat swirling around my ankles.

The next day, Allison was in my flat when I woke up, sitting on the sofa, fully dressed, sipping a tea. The first of many today for her, I was sure.

I was unshaven, in my ratty pyjamas, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Morning." she said, simply.

"Morning." I said, through a massive yawn. "Mind telling me what you are doing here at this infernal hour?"

"Drinking a cuppa on your sofa, why?"

"Why not drink it on your sofa?" I moved into the kitchen, where I moved for the kettle, but Allison called out.

"I poured you one too."

Shortly we were drinking tea and playing cards. She was surprisingly good at Gin and six different kinds of poker, but no one, not even Mycroft could beat me at Texas Hold 'Em.

"Bugger!" she shouted, throwing down her cards as I won for the fourth time in a row. "You have got to be kidding me!"

I grinned, in an impertinent and childlike way. "No, because that would require me to kid."

"Shut up." she snarled.

I got up. "Well, I best get dressed for the day, kay?"

"Kay."

I walked into my bedroom, and quickly changed into a suit, as was customary for me. I walked down the hall as I was buttoning the front of the suit jacket.

"I'm back." I stated as I slipped into the living room.

"Welcome back." she stirred her tea absentmindedly.

I picked up my violin and played a quick little riff so suddenly, that Allison started and splashed her tea all over her chest.

"Sherlock!" she shouted, and I chuckled. "That was my last clean shirt!"

I put down the violin. "Sorry. You can borrow a shirt if you'd like."

"Okay..." She followed me into my room, and I handed her a white button-up that was most definitely too big for her. She went into the loo to change, and I waited outside of the door, leaned up against the opposite wall.

She came out, and I was right. The shirt was most definitely way too big, but it looked kinda cute, ish. It reached mid thigh on her, and she had to roll up the sleeves a lot.

"It's too big." she giggled.

I smirked. "It most certainly is."

She started to tuck in the shirt, and I walked into the living room, plopping down on the sofa. She came out and plopped down next to me.

"So," I began, and she looked at me expectantly. "Ally."

"Yes?"

"Isn't today Friday, December 3rd?"

"Oh-" she cursed. "I need to call Dan." She pulled out her mobile, and punched in a few numbers. "Hello, Dan! Yeah. Okay. Sounds good. Half past twelve? Okay, yeah, that works for me and Sher. Oh, my, er," she searched for a word to say.

"Friend?" I offered.

"Friend." she continued, with a thumbs up to me. "Yes, I'm bringing a friend. Yes, I have friends. No, I'm not lonely. Are you going to criticize the way I run my life? Okay, good, I thought so. I'll see you this afternoon. Goodbye, Dan!" she hung up.

Twelve o'clock came, and Ally and I headed down to the little cafe where we had planned to meet Daniel.

"Hello!" she said, to a man with auburn hair and her same green eyes. He was just a bit shorter than me, and thin too. He had a trim beard, and was tanner than Allison. Then again, that wasn't hard. He was with a woman who had dark brown hair, and two little girls. She held out her arms, and they met in the type of hug that is descriptive of two people that used to be close who haven't seen each other in a long time.

When they separated, Daniel looked over at me. "Who's this?" he asked, jerking his head in my direction. I immediately felt a little bit conspicuous.

"Oh, that's Sher, my friend I was telling you about."

"Ohhhhh. I thought you said 'Cher', with a 'C'."

I chuckled. "No, Ally here just calls me Sher. My full name is Sherlock."

He put a hand near his mouth. "You're not..."

"Sherlock Holmes?" I raised my eyebrows. "I can assure you, that's me, sir."

Once we were seated and had ordered out food, we got to talking. Daniel was a police officer, a detective. He did the same kind of job that Lestrade did. His wife, Annabelle, had barely spoken, and instead, had taken to staring at me when she thought I wasn't looking.

His children were pretty cute. The oldest was five, her name was Cassy. She liked My Little Pony and the color pink. Her three-year-old little sister, named Charlie, short for Charlotte, liked the opposite. She was the tomboy.

I liked kids. They were so much more openminded than adults. They listened, they cared. They came up with unique solutions to complex problems. People didn't give kids enough credit.

Suddenly, Ally elbowed me hard. "What?" I asked.

"Annabelle asked you a question, Sher."

"Oh," I said, looking up apologetically. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

The woman repeated her question, "Are you working on any cases right now?"

I shook my head. "Scotland Yard just caught a murderous chef that I told them to stay on the lookout for, but other than that, no, I am not working on any cases."

Daniel butted in. "What I want to know, is how did you two become friends? Because if I know one thing about Allison, it's that she claims she doesn't have any friends."

I cleared my throat. "Well, when Allison moved into 221c, my friend John came to say hello to her on my behalf. Some time later, she came into my flat to heat up her cuppa, and we've been friends ever since."