Allison

I sat across from Sherlock at the desk in the living room of 221b. He was drinking a root beer for breakfast. I had admonished him about the virtues of eating something substantial for breakfast, but all my campaigning only brought on scoffing and hand waving. So I let him drink his root beer in peace. I wish that he would listen to me.

I stopped typing emails for a moment to admire the ring on my finger. It was lovely, for sure. It had a silver band, and the large round diamond in the middle was surrounded by a ring of tiny emeralds. It was an unfamiliar yet welcome weight against my hand, and I smiled.

The phone range, and Sherlock sat back in his chair with an obnoxiously loud sigh. "Would someone please make that stupid thing stop its infernal ringing?" he bellowed.

I gave him a sharp look and stood up, pushing my chair back with my legs. "I'm right here, Sher. No need to shout, y'know." I picked up the phone, rolling my eyes at the immature behaviour of my fiancé. "Hello, it's Allison." I said on autopilot.

"Oh, yes hello!" bubbled Mary on the other end, bright and cheery.

I instantly cheered up a bit. "How're you today, Mary?" I asked. Mary and I were pretty good friends, if I dare use the word.

"Good, good. You?"

"Same, but better than usual."

"Oh, why?"

"...Reasons..." I said, vaguely.

"Fine then," she said, in mock indignation. "Don't tell me."

I smirked. We talked for about an hour, and I could hear Sherlock making exasperated noises behind me, as well as mocking everything I said. "Gimme a second, Mary," I said, and put my hand over the receiver. I tilted my head over my shoulder and bellowed, "CUT IT OUT, SHERLOCK!" I took my hand off the receiver and ignored what he said in retort, saying to Mary, "sorry 'bout that." When I had put the phone back to my ear I was aware that she was laughing.

"What was he doing?" she asked.

"Mocking me," I said. "Repeating everything I said in a stupid, high pitched voice."

Mary chuckled. "I don't have that problem, fortunately."

I smirked. "Lucky."

We made plans for lunch, and I told Sherlock that I was going out to lunch with Mary, and that I would be back soon. I grabbed my parka and hopped out into the snow.

I sat with Mary, and handed the waiter my menu, as we had both just ordered. As the waiter was leaving, Mary grabbed my left hand. "What is that!" she demanded.

"A ring..." I said, like I was indulging a small child.

"Did Sherlock give this ring to you?" she asked, clearly incredulous.

I nodded. "Who else?"

She ignored my question, and looked at me, completely and utterly gobsmacked. "He proposed?" she asked.

"That is what this ring means, if I'm not mistaken," I said.

"I can't believe it!" she exclaimed. "I can't believe it at all! Wait until John hears!"

I sat back in my chair and chuckled. "He's gonna have a coronary," I stated, and Mary burst out laughing.

"Well congratulations!" Mary exclaimed, grinning. "When's the wedding?"

"I'm afraid we haven't gotten that far yet," I said with a chuckle. "I have a feeling we won't get that far for a while."

"Just gonna be content with being his fiancée for awhile?" she asked.

"So you do understand," I said, smiling. My countenance grew a bit graver as I said, "I'm not sure he'll ever want to plan a wedding though."

"He was rather good at it when John and I tied the knot," said Mary. "That man can fold serviettes like no other."

I laughed. "Lemme guess, he tried to tell you he learned it whilst on a case, but he actually learnt it on YouTube."

"Yup," she said, popping the 'p'. "I can tell when he's fibbing straight-away."

I smiled. "Me too. John can't, though."

"No, you're right, he can't." Mary took a sip of her soft drink.

"I would, however, like it if you and John helped me and Sherlock plan the wedding. An apathetic consulting detective and an apathetic online tutor make for poor planners."

"I just told you that Sherlock was good at planning weddings!"

"Would Sherlock and I working together plan a very cohesive wedding?" I pointed out.

"True." she conceded. "And of course! I would love to help you plan your wedding! And I know I can speak for John and I both when I say that."

I smiled. "Thank you, Mary."

"SHERLOCK!" I called up the stairs. "I'm home!" I could hear him playing his violin. He would stop at random intervals, play something different, then put it all together. He was composing. I trotted up the stairs and pushed the door open to 221b. He was, in fact, standing at the window and composing.

"How was lunch?" he asked.

"Great!" I flopped down on the sofa. "Say, Sher, when are we gonna get married?"

He stopped playing the violin abruptly and the note he was on died off with a squeak. I winced at the noise. After a moment's consideration, he said, "Honestly, Ally, I hadn't thought that far ahead."

"We could plan the wedding for... May?" I suggested.

He didn't look towards me. He was nervous. "Sure..." he said.

"We could have a spring wedding like John and Mary did!" I chirped.

He said nothing.

"I already asked Mary if she and John would help us plan the wedding, and she said yes." I thought for a second, and asked, "Sherlock, does John know we're getting married?"

"No..." he said, absentmindedly.

"Don't you think you should probably tell him?"

He shrugged, and went back to his violin. I picked up my laptop from the low table and started checking emails.