Allison

I opened the door to 221c. It was past midnight. It was Christmas. The thought did nothing to cheer me up as I hung up my coat and scarf.

My eyes scanned the room, and alighted on something out of the ordinary. Something that had not been there when I had left to go to the pub with friends.

A box was sitting on my low table. It was about the size of a shoebox, but wider, square in shape. It was wrapped in simple red paper, with a bow on top. There was a piece of paper tied to the bow.

I walked over to the table, and picked it up as I sat down on the sofa. I pulled off the bow and read the note. In fancy script it read: for Ally.

Ally. Only one person that could have coordinated this called me Ally.

I tore open the wrapping paper gingerly, and opened the box. Inside were two separately wrapped parcels; a big one and a small one.

I opened the small one first. I pulled open the Scotch tape and tipped the contents out onto my palm. In my hand were two beautiful, round emeralds earrings, set in gold. They, as I noted immediately, were the exact same shade of green as my eyes. He picked them out without a picture of me; he knew me by heart. I smiled, my eyes welling up. I carefully put them in.

I then turned my attention to the larger parcel. I opened it, still tearing up. A tear broke free and made it's way down my smiling face. I gave a little laugh through my happy tears as I saw the contents of the second parcel.

It was a deerstalker. I picked it up, laughing at it. A folded piece of paper fell out of the hat. I set down the deerstalker and picked it up, curious.

It was a piece of sheet music, written for the violin. It was simply titled Ally. I took it over to my piano, studying the notes closely. I could usually figure out conversions if I concentrated.

I began to play, very slowly and carefully. As I played, I began to cry freely. But I wasn't sad. No, I was completely touched and overcome with emotion. It was a beautiful piece, composed just for me. I could only imagine what it sounded like on the violin.

But more than being written specifically for me, it was an apology. He was apologizing for what he did and said. Some people may not have understood why I cried, or why I stopped being angry. Some people may not have thought it was enough. But for me, it was enough.

I woke up, smiling. I reached up and fingered the earrings I had put in the night before. It was Christmas, and I needed to pay a visit to the person who had healed my heart they had previously broken.

But first I needed a gift. After all, it was Christmas.

I put on a pair of jeans, knee high brown boots, a grey jumper, and my army green anorak. I grabbed my purse from where it rested on my bedpost, waltzed down the corridor, and out the door. Time to go shopping!

I trotted down the stairs, and hailed a taxi. Not many places would be open, due to it being a holiday and all, but there had to some stores open somewhere.

I poked around in a couple of department stores when I finally found what I was looking for.

Sherlock's ever present blue scarf was getting old. It had rips and tears, and was quite frayed at the ends. It was faded, and frankly, in need of replacement. I understood that there might be sentimental value in it, and if that were the case, he could have two scarves.

I found the perfect blue scarf. It was about the same shade and length, but was made of a slightly stiffer material. I purchased it, and headed outside. Hailing a cab, I rode back to 221c.

I had the present wrapped and ready before half past ten. At a quarter until eleven, I made my way up the stairs to 221b.

I stopped at the door, my hand hovering above the handle. Mustering up every ounce of courage I had, I opened the door.

Sherlock was lying on the sofa, dressed in his usual suit. His eyes were shut and his hands were pressed together under his chin. Upon my entrance, his eyes snapped open, but he did not turn to look at me.

"Took you this long." he said, and I couldn't exactly tell if he was being unkind or not.

"Happy Christmas to you, too." I responded, curtly, hovering in the doorway.

He ignored this passive aggressive comment and instead said, "You don't have to hover in the doorway, y'know."

I took this as an invitation to come inside, so I stepped in. I smiled. "You have a tree."

He turned to look at the Christmas tree, which was all lit with lights and shiny baubles. "Mrs. Hudson insisted upon it."

I smiled, and looked at him, slowly and deliberately. "Got you a gift."

He looked at me for the first time since I had arrived. "So you do..." he said, slowly. His eyes searched my face, and his eyes lit up when they fell upon my ears. I handed him the gift.

"Thank you for these, by the way." I reached up with one hand and twisted an earring playfully. He gave a tiny smile and looked down at the gift. "Open it!" I urged.

He plopped down on the sofa, gift in hand. I stood, awkwardly, until he motioned for me to join him. "I didn't expect you to get me a present, Ally."

I shrugged, sheepishly. "Well, erm, I just... Well you see I... I, erm.."

"It is very much appreciated," he said, saving me from my embarrassment. He pulled the paper off of the box and opened it, then pulling out the scarf.

My breath caught in my throat, and I anxiously studied his face. After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably more like thirty seconds, he turned to look at me. "Thank you." he said at last, and I let out the breath I had been holding.