Sherlock

The dinner party was tomorrow. I was sitting on my sofa, searching for a new case on my computer. Suddenly, a thought struck me. Didn't Ally have that case that she was working on, the person who wouldn't tell her who they were?

I clomped down the stairs to 221c, and threw open the door. Ally was at the piano, composing a sad, melancholy piece.

"Ally?"

"Hm?"

"Whatever happened to that case you were working on, the one with the person who wouldn't reveal their identity? Did you solve it?"

"No."

"Oh. What happened?"
"They stopped contacting me. I think they were murdered."

"Oh. Can't really help the dead, can we?"

"Not directly, no. But every time we solve a murder, we indirectly help the dead, for then we know that their death was not without reason."

"All murder is without reason."
"No."

"No?"

"No. Every death, no matter the means of it, has a reason. It all contributes to the outcome of the future in its own manner."

"I never thought about it like that."

"Not many people do. Most people think that death is needless."

"Yes."

"But it is not to say that death isn't tragic. Every death is a small tragedy, or a great one, depending on how it affects the world. Every death is a great sorrow, and it is because we care that we help the dead."

"My brother once said that caring is not an advantage."

"Your brother is wrong. Caring is the only thing we have to hold on to." She continued to play the piece that she had written, not once hitting a wrong note, right up until the end of what she had composed. "Our lives are like this song. I have played it enough not to make a mistake, like how we iron out the misdirections of our past, but when it is done, we leave it in the memories of all who have experienced it, and they think of it with joy."

"That's an excellent analogy, Ally."

"Thank you." she had been playing the piano the entire time I was in the room. "I'm not sure what to name this piece. Any suggestions?"

"Is it done?"

"No."

"Name it when you're finished with it."

"No, I want you to name it."

I thought about our previous discussion. "How about 'Memory in Death'?"

"I really like that, Sher."

"Thank you."

"Memory in Death it is."