Allison

I kept checking my phone, awaiting a text. Nothing, for the time being.

PING! Finally, my phone went off. I picked it up.

How is he? What is he up to? -MH

"Hey Sher!" I said, and Sally snorted.

"Sher?" she asked, in a patronizing tone. I glared at her.

"Hm?" he asked, turning to look at me. I leaned in and put my arm around him.

"Say cheese!" I laughed, snapping a picture of the two of us on my mobile. Sherlock looked mostly surprised in the photo, but there was a faint smile on his face. As soon as I finished taking the picture, I pulled away from him and sat up straight. He did the same.

I sent it to Mycroft, who replied with I am glad he is having fun. -MH

I can practically hear the contempt, Mycroft. I texted back.

Later, I was sitting with John while Sherlock talked to Lestrade about the kidnappings. He finally looked like he was actually having a good time. We had done the gift exchange, and I had ended up with a bottle of kahlua. Sherlock had ended up with a set of striped mugs.

"I know you paid him to go, John." I said.

John turned to look at me, surprised. "How?"

"You know how."

"Oh yeah."

"It baffles me, why you don't solve crimes with him anymore."

"That's not really my life at the moment."

"Hm, you make a much better duo than him and I."

"Why do you say that? He actually thinks you're smart. You have no idea how much he told me I was an idiot."

"You're not an idiot, John. I still think that you and him make a better crime solving duo than him and I."

"Why?"

"Because two unemotional geniuses working together may get the job done in half the time, but we don't really relate to other people well."

"Oh."

"Sherlock Holmes understands the how of a mystery, you understand the why."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, Sherlock understands how a mystery was done, what the motive was, that sort of thing. You understand why the culprit committed the crime. You understand the crime on the emotional level. He understands the crime on the psychological level."

"Oh. But you seem to be much more in tune with your emotions than he."

"Mm, I wouldn't say that. I may seem that way, because I am in fact much worse at containing my feelings than he is."

"Oh."

"His coldness is learned, mine is sporadic."

"But learned as well."

"Yes, to an extent. He is not a sociopath."

"No?"

"No. Psychopaths and sociopaths are the same thing, psychologically."

"So what is he?"

"A normal person."

"That's purely opinion."

"True, but he is more normal than you realize. He's just really good at hiding it."

"Well said, Allison, well said."